Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

cheap healthy foods 2012/7/11 13:32
Is there a large selection of cheap healthy foods to eat and where can I get them? As much as I want to eat takoyaki and beef bowl all the time it wouldn't do me much good especially if I'm walking around all day.
My budget is 3000Y a day for food and drink. Mostly water and green tea for drink with a weekly beer.
by chris (guest)  

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/11 13:48
Where will you be?
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/11 13:51
My base will be in Tokyo but I will be taking day trips to places like Yokohama, Osaka, Sendai, Nikko.
by chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/11 14:23
The Ootoya restaurant chain has a hundred branches in the Tokyo area (and one in Osaka), and they serve well-balanced Japanese meals, vegetables included, for around Y1000.

Most supermarkets sell a good assortment of prepared foods, with everything from salads and vegetables to sushi and grilled chicken, so you can assemble your own meals quite easily.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/11 21:09
Chris,

There are various organic all-you-can-eat-for self-service restaurant chains nowadays.

Harvest: Lunch 1363 yen
http://www.create-restaurants.co.jp/shop/index.php?controller=FrontCrS...

No No Budo / Yume Budo: Lunch 1680
http://www.budounoki.co.jp/shoplist/nonoyume.html

By the way, this is the website for Ootoya.
http://www.ootoya.com/
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/12 01:42
Cool I'm glad there seems to be a lot of choices. How does this sound for foods?

Breakfast- oatmeal or cereal (I'm bringing this from home)
Lunch- one of those places described above
Dinner- Beef bowl/takoyaki/food stand type places

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/12 02:22
You can do much better. Y1300 for lunch is actually way above the average price, even in Tokyo - you can eat at nice French and Italian restaurants for Y1000 at lunchtime, and find good Japanese lunches for Y700-900. Lunch buffets are a luxury.

Don't worry, you can eat very healthily for Y3000 a day.
by Umami Dearest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/12 02:29
I figured I could save money by bringing my own breakfast so I can spend more on lunches and dinner. Those appeal to me more than the breakfast foods. But I still want to eat at least 1 large healthy meal a day to keep my energy up for walking and sightseeing all day.

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/12 08:12
if i want to get healthy i always cook by my self,i get anything that i want without scare if the food not good for us n good to for my budget
by lantis16 rate this post as useful

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/12 09:23
I want to cook for myself I never eat out now that I cook. But the hotel I will be staying at doesn't have such facilities.

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/12 09:52
How long are you in Japan?
It seems like a lot of weight & effort to bring all of your breakfasts with you. You can get breakfast cereals here in Japan, and you could also get onigiri at the convenience store, which my daughter just loves for breakfast... and it's cheap!!!
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/12 10:13
It's 2 weeks. But it's doable in past trips I've done within the states. Then when I come back all that food is gone and replaced with souvenirs.

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/12 11:40
If you don't mind eating in your hotel, there are many places to buy healthy prepared foods that don't require cooking and are much cheaper than restaurant meals. Department-store food halls and supermarkets sell a wide variety of foods - grilled fish, vegetable dishes, grilled chicken, etc. - all ready to eat. (Many hotels even have a microwave oven available somewhere.)
by Umami Dearest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/12 15:44
Most business hotels(Toyoko Inn, Superhotel, etc.) and others have free continental(bread, bagel, cereal, etc.) bf, salad, coffee, tea, milk, juice, etc.
Good lunch can be had for 500yen to 700yen most of time.
Dinner may be usually ~1,000yen w/o drinks so you have plenty of money left to splurge/drink often.
Many hotels and some streets have beer vending machines, if you need. There are vending machines every few feet dispensing coffee & tea(hot or cold), soft drinks, juice, etc. very cheap.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/13 00:14
I suppose I got carried away by the word "healthy" and the fact the OP had chain restaurants in mind.

Of course, organic meals aren't the only answer for you. You have numerous options of vegetable dishes, like maybe stir-fried fegetables or soup noodles topped with lots of vegetables all for less than 1000 yen a dish.

And you can always go to suburban supermarkets to buy a pack of seasonal fruits that may days. And some may say that fruits are expensive here in Japan, but the local ones in seasons aren't necessarily so.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/14 21:57
Supermarkets usually start offering some discount for fresh foods (like 20 to 30% less from the tag price) in the evening at around or right before 7pm before they close the day. (So don't go to an open 24 hours)

It may depend where your hotel is located to find one, but if it is close, I would say you can find good deals like a sushi set (assorted sushi in a plastic pack) at around or from 500yen @:

- Seiyu
- Inageya
- ItoYokado
- Belc??
etc

You will find more when you ask local guys at your hotels.Central Tokyo may be an exception, as they sell all before they have to give discounts...

by Jay Key (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/16 02:08
My hotel is Chisun Hotel Shinagawa West. Which is several miles southwest of Shinagawa station. It's a bit out of central Tokyo so I think I'll have luck finding such places to eat at. On Google I found that there's a Lawson 100 store and a bunch of 7-11 and gas stations nearby.

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/16 03:41
I ate quite a lot of salads, fruit and yoghurt from convenience stores like Lawson and Family Mart when I was in Japan (some days I was just too tired to go food hunting after a day of walking).

It's a shame you don't think you could manage a Japanese breakfast because I have to say, the days I did have one of those, I didn't need to eat a meal again until evening, even with a whole day of walking. No so the days I had cereal, when I was hungry again by lunch.
by UK Traveller (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/16 12:57
What was the breakfast you had? More specifically what did it consist of?

Re: cheap healthy foods 2012/7/16 17:55
Hi there, if you're interested to see what the food's like at the convenient stores, I've made a blog post about it: http://themetropolitanlounge.blogspot.com/2012/07/convenient-stores-in... .

The food is actually quite delicious for what it is. However as others have mentioned, there are restaurants that offer meals for around 400-700\.
by rsxguy04 rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

reply to this thread