Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ramen with beer or tea? 2012/7/19 17:11
what drink goes best with ramen? a cup of hotgreen tea or a mug of cold asahi beer ?
by hours12  

Re: Ramen with beer or tea? 2012/7/19 19:30
usually it is beer or cold tea, and then it depends on your personal taste. Which do you like more?
Most people i see at ramen places drink cold tea, since thats usually provided for free (or water, depends on the place)
by Rintaru83 rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen with beer or tea? 2012/7/19 20:16
It depend on your favorites.

Because it's now hot mid-summer,
I love to drink cold green tea or cold (Chinese) oolong tea while eating ramen.
When I have no money, I drink cold boiled tap-water.

I saw a girlfriend who drinks sugared black tea (called here Gogo-no Koh-cha) while eating ramen.

Of course, I have seen some Japanese men drinking cold beer, like you.
by dosanko100 rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen with beer or tea? 2012/7/20 05:03
For me it is cold tea. Beer makes it too much fluid. But if you were asking about curry, I'd say that no drink in the world is better with curry than beer
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen with beer or tea? 2012/7/20 17:41
Interesting question!

Of course, this is my personal opinion: In Japan, ramen is a kind of a fast food. In the Ramen shop, most people just eat, slurp the ramen as fast as possible, like within 10 min. But I hear in some places outside Japan, Ramen is not considered to be a fast food. People go to the Ramen "restaurant", order some small dishes like salad, teriyaki chickens, and of course Ramen. People talk each other and enjoy their "mealtime".

Therefore, in Japan, most people do not order specific drinks; they are served with a cup of free cold tap water. They drink it, and just eat, slurp, that's all. It's like MacDonald's Big Mac set. You can add beer or tea, but I think it might be a rare case.

But as Dosanko says, some people in Japan might drink some beverages nowadays.
by frog1954 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen with beer or tea? 2012/7/20 18:49
In general, cold Chinese tea like Oolong tea that is said to promote decomposition of fat.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Ramen with beer or tea? 2012/7/28 00:05
interesting answers!
yes, I've tried drinking cold tap water when I was in Japan

I've tried out myself, drinking Asahi beer, hot Fukuoka Yame(八女) Tea and cold Itoen Oi Ocha. Conclusion, cold green tea seems to be the best option... :p
by hours12 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread