Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheap food in Kyoto along the subway lines 2012/7/30 23:57
Hi there,

I am thinking of purchasing the daily subway pass in Kyoto as my main transportation and I'm thinking of having my lunch and dinner if possible along the journey. Is there any recommendation for nice and cheap food which is nearby or within walking distance from any of the Kyoto subway lines?

If can my budget is below 600-700 yen

Thanks a lot! :)
by steventanz  

Re: Cheap food in Kyoto along the subway lines 2012/7/31 14:21
by ausmomo rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap food in Kyoto along the subway lines 2012/7/31 14:32

Re: Cheap food in Kyoto along the subway lines 2012/7/31 15:32
thanks for the info. really appreciate it :D
by steventanz rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap food in Kyoto along the subway lines 2012/8/1 07:09
I don't understand why Kitcho was recommended to a budget diner. A kaiseki dinner at Kitcho costs 50,000+/person.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap food in Kyoto along the subway lines 2012/8/1 07:58
Kyoto has two faces: touristic and residential. As for residents, Kyoto has lots of students of universities/colleges. They are in general young and do not have much money, so that there are lots of inexpensive eating places. When I was a university student in Kyoto, 230 yen was my standard budget for dinner, in 1973 (for example, chicken katsu teishoku which includes rice, miso-soup chicken katsu and vegetable salad). I guess it should be 500-700 yen now. Please go somewhere in the university district, then you can easily find low budget meals.

I have found an inexpensive and good chinese restaurants just north to Hyakumanben in Tabelog. I looked the photos uploaded and think it should be fine.

http://tabelog.com/kyoto/A2603/A260302/26003713/

I think this should be middle to high class place for students.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap food in Kyoto along the subway lines 2012/8/2 11:45
@Tokyonet - forgive me, please, it was a poor attempt at humour.

Hopefully the other links were all ok!

Re: Cheap food in Kyoto along the subway lines 2012/8/2 22:55
50000? wow thats crazy for a meal ..i definitely can't afford that
by steventanz rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap food in Kyoto along the subway lines 2012/8/3 13:40
There is no need to waste time searching for good cheap food anywhere by address in Japan. Just go off touristy areas into back alleys or find small owner run restaurants or chain restaurants like Yoshinoya.
After a little bit of walking, I found one with only about 5-6 counters & 2 tables off the main Gion area street below the street level of a building but you can see from the street. Several large food plates are on the counter and I picked 3 home cooked Kyoto cuisine fish & vege. dishes w/ rice & miso soup for ~700yen. Was just delicious.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap food in Kyoto along the subway lines 2012/8/3 15:36
ausmono, I'm a little confused as to why you're making Kyoto restaurant recommendations if, as you say in another thread, you've never been to Kyoto.
by Umami Dearest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap food in Kyoto along the subway lines 2012/8/3 16:39
Just go off touristy areas into back alleys or find small owner run restaurants or chain restaurants like Yoshinoya.

That will work fine, I think. I would like to add some tips.

1. Inexpensive restaurants show their price list outside of the house. You can check it.

2. Choose clean and neat diner. In my experience, tasty food comes from clean restaurants.

3. Look inside, and if you find many guests, it should be fine.

by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap food in Kyoto along the subway lines 2012/8/5 16:06
There are various restaurants at the train stations that are budget or higher. As you walk farther from the station away from touristy areas you will find many cheaper places. Don't forget the food courts of a mall. Just like all over the world a mall food court offers affordable food that is good.
Also look where the students go. They will be in groups in their school uniforms.
I would just walk around and most places have the menu or the food models with the prices displayed on them.
I ate several meals at or around the train stations because you will pass hundreds of restaurants. OH! Don't forget the grocery stores, they will have hot and cold meals also. And it is fun to wander around and see what products they sell.
Enjoy your adventure!
by Travelman rate this post as useful

reply to this thread