Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Eating alone In Kyoto restraunts 2012/7/31 12:46
As a single male travelling to Kyoto for two weeks, will I encounter any problems in asking for a single seat in restaurants?, Is a seating for one unusual, also, as I have long hair, usually tied back in a 'pony tail', will this be seen as an embarassement to anyone?..thank you.
by Barrie (guest)  

... 2012/7/31 15:06
Eating alone is fairly normal at most restaurants I think. Your hair sounds fine.

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Eating alone In Kyoto restraunts 2012/7/31 15:54
Hi Barry,

I am a female who travels to Kyoto a few times a year and I have never encountered any difficulty eating alone in restaurants. I honestly would not worry about it.

I also wouldn't worry about your hair. There are men in Kyoto with long hair too.

Just relax and enjoy Kyoto!
by katsura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Eating alone In Kyoto restraunts 2012/7/31 18:16
Thanks for your advice 'GC3 and Katsura'.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Eating alone In Kyoto restraunts 2012/8/1 09:15
Barrie,
I hope you check back to the post as I wanted to recommend a restaurant that not only has excellent food, but also where you will feel very comfortable on your own. It is fairly informal and has English menus.

The restaurant is called Kushikura. It is a grill restaurant that serves grilled chicken, skewered meats, fish and vegetables.

It is located at Takakura-dori, Oike-agaru. It is in a beautiful restored Machiya.

The phone number is (075) 213-2211.

It can be a little tricky to find, so I recommend asking for directions at your hotel.

I eat here at least twice a week when I am in Kyoto.

Best wishes

Re: Eating alone In Kyoto restraunts 2012/8/1 12:45
Katsura, thanks again for your advice, much appreciated.

Re: Eating alone In Kyoto restraunts 2012/8/2 07:56
Eating alone in any city in Japan is not unusual at all, especially at cheapish places. It's called "ohitori-sama,"--party of one.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Eating alone In Kyoto restraunts 2012/8/2 12:33
Anyplace with a counter should be very comfortable for a solo diner. Other comfortable spots are restaurants in department stores (there are dozens in the Isetan in JR Kyoto station) and of course in hotels.

I wouldn't dine alone in a private room in a kaiseki restaurant though, just because it would get pretty boring.
by Umami Dearest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Eating alone In Kyoto restraunts 2012/8/2 12:48
Indeed... I always sit at the counter at Kushikura. Kaiseki is usually more formal and I have never had a desire to partake in the experience alone.

Re: Eating alone In Kyoto restraunts 2012/8/2 12:54
Thanks to you all for your advice, what a 'great forum this is!'...looking forward to Autumn in Kyoto and 'oishii' food...Barrie.

Re: Eating alone In Kyoto restraunts 2012/8/3 23:29
as most stated, eating solo is a norm in japan. you will see this especially during lunch time. salary-men all lined up for their solo lunch sessions.
by matic rate this post as useful

Re: Eating alone In Kyoto restraunts 2012/8/5 16:17
I travelled around Japan for 6 weeks a few years ago. I ate most of my meals alone and to add to it I don't speak Japanese.
I would just walk in and sit at the counter or bar or they would seat me at a table made for two. A lot of menus have the picture and the price, a lot of places have an english menu. At first it might be itimidating but once you start eating that delicious food.
As a matter of fact at a bar in Osaka I was the only White American and the people were trying to teach me Japanese and were speaking English it was a friendly restaurant bar I had only planned to stay an hour and the night went by I had to call it a night at 3AM!
SO don't worry about eating alone. YOu will find you are not alone in dining alone.
Enjoy your trip.
by Travelman rate this post as useful

Re: Eating alone In Kyoto restraunts 2012/8/11 06:16
Barry, ive been to Japan several time now and once with my son, when you go to the cafe or resurants you will always find a life like representation of the food in the window although they are plastic you wont belive it, they are so life like, and useualy they are numbered if you cant read hiragana or katagana it does not matter as you can always point at the picture in the menu or in the shop window!!! ENJOY !! regards brian
by brizz rate this post as useful

Re: Eating alone In Kyoto restraunts 2012/8/12 07:45
Im a male, I have a ponytail, and I travelled to Kyoto alone a couple of years ago. No one batted an eyelid when i ate, it may surprise you but some men in japan have ponytails too.
by agitatedbells rate this post as useful

reply to this thread