Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Passport renewal in the Philippines 2012/8/2 21:11
I am a japanese citizen here in the Philippines, I am now 23 years old and have not renewed my passport since 2007 due to certain personal problems within the family. I now have a copy of our koseki-tohon and I wish to renew my passport very soon.

Will there be any issues regarding the renewal since I was stuck here in the Philippines for such a long period of time?

**I was born in PH and have proper documentation for my stay. It has been a while since left for my country as well.

Any advice/comments will greatly be appreciated.

cheers.
by Kumitaka Noma (guest)  

Re: Passport renewal in the Philippines 2012/8/3 11:12
If you have a recent copy of koseki-tohon, you can go to the Embassy/Consulate General of Japan in the Philippines, and ask for new issuance.

Consulate staff will raise an eyebrow to see that your old passport has expired that many years ago, and would drop a comment or two about why didn't you come renew it while it was still valid and all that, but they cannot without issuing one, as long as you are a Japanese national :)

I just hope that the papers you have concerning your stay in the Philippines are valid, so that you would not have any problem with the local authorities.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Passport renewal in the Philippines 2012/8/3 11:13
I meant to say "they cannot WITHHOLD issuing..." Sorry.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Passport renewal in the Philippines 2012/8/3 22:12
Are you holding dual nationality passports?
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Re: Passport renewal in the Philippines 2012/8/4 06:53
Why don't you call Japanese embassy in the Philippines and ask. You should have no problem, tho. Local authorities have nothing to do with renewing a Japanese passport.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Passport renewal in the Philippines 2012/8/5 04:12
@AK:

You sir just got a huge load of my chest. The only thing I am worried about is that when I turned 21(or was it 18) I was not able to choose a citizenship, but I was a Japanese citizen to begin with, so I guess no problems?

@Donald:

I checked with the local immigration about my current standing here in the Philippines. I am not a dual citizen yet I have papers that allow me to stay here (I guess it's a law passed on when I was born [1988]. I could get a Philippine passport as well but I don't seem to have any use for it so I might just stick with my Japanese passport.)

Thanks again for the input. I really appreciate the help I'm getting from you guys :)
by Kumitaka Noma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread