Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What else should I try? 2012/8/9 21:53
I am very much looking forward to treating myself with the Japanese fast food variety. So far, I have on my list udon/soba, donburi, ramen, and gyuudon. Anything else I should give a try? Am I right assuming that the above mentioned treats are relatively high on carbs and low on fat?
by SEA monster  

Re: What else should I try? 2012/8/10 08:56
SEA monster,

Japanese fast food? Will you be trying the Mos Burger rice burgers?

Note that ramen is about as high in animal fat/cholesterol/salt as you can get. Gyudon is fatty beef on rice, so that's hardly low in fat either.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What else should I try? 2012/8/10 09:45
Note that ramen is about as high in animal fat/cholesterol/salt as you can get.

I see. Off my daily diet list then. On top that, it's only now that I noticed the noodles are fried and not dried.

Will you be trying the Mos Burger rice burgers?

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually skipped the whole Mos Burger idea (assuming it's all hamburger-style fast food), but the rice burgers look intriguing and relatively healthy.

I can occasionally eat even the most unhealthy stuff (and I know I will try just about everything I will get my hands on), but since I will be traveling by bicycle for months, I need to establish some daily menu options high on carbohydrates and low on saturated fat to replenish my calories. And I won't have always the time and opportunity to cook my own meals. That's where the (acceptable) fast food comes in.
by SEA monster rate this post as useful

.... 2012/8/10 10:35
Not sure what is really fast food but other food worth eating includes tonkatsu, yakitori, okonomiyaki, takoyaki, yakisoba. I've seen most of those at food stands so I guess they are fast food. Also, sushi is probably a fast food too in some places. A few others that spring to mind are gyoza and nikuman. Also, curry rice might be an option.

This page has some useful info:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e620.html

Enjoy your trip!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: What else should I try? 2012/8/10 13:06
Looks like your list is the low priced fast foods.
You wouldn't know until you get to Japan the possibilities are endless from low to high ends and all good if you like them.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What else should I try? 2012/8/10 13:53
I dont know that ramen is going to be sooo unhealthy. Instant ramen isnt good, it is full of MSG (magic salt!) and palm oil. I make soy ramen a fair bit, the stock is actually pretty good for you (chicken broth/dashi stock/soy/sake/ginger/garlic/sugar) - well, ignore the salty soy and the sugar and the rest is pretty good. The noodles arent great for you because they are white flour based, but they are no worse than pasta. Then you have fillers - boiled egg (good) fish paste based products (probably not too bad) pork (not good but very tasty).

So I wouldnt cross restaurant ramen off the list. Also a good curry is good (but not the stuff made using the blocks of curry, that is high in pretty much everything you dont want inside you), tonkatsu (deep fried but great, just work harder on the bike) yakitori. And I second mosburger, the best burgers on the planet.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What else should I try? 2012/8/10 14:59
Donburi isn't really a category of food - it just means that something is served over a bowl of rice (instead of with a bowl of rice at the side). It doesn't even have to be Japanese food.

In addition to tonkatsu and Japanese curry rice, I'd recommend scouting out 7-Eleven, FamilyMart and other convenience stores - they sell a lot of healthy, inexpensive prepared foods.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: What else should I try? 2012/8/11 10:27
What about fresh street sea food? I will be traveling quite a bit in the coastal areas. Do they prepare and sell street food from the local fishermen catch (like in the local fish markets), or does it go all straight to restaurants?

tonkatsu, yakitori, okonomiyaki, takoyaki, yakisoba, gyoza and nikuman

I have to admit - they look and sound delicious (and unhealthy). Especially okonomiyaki and the octopus balls are tempting. But I will have to treat these as occasional delights, due to their trans-fat and sugar contents, and have the (non-fried) noodle and rice dishes as my regular diet.

Looks like your list is the low priced fast foods.

Yeap. I will have to replenish about 4,500 - 5,000 calories a day for 90 days. Imagine if I had to do the replenish with expensive meals. I'd go hungry or broke soon :-) I will, of course, eat also in normal restaurants, but it won't be on daily basis. But again, I won't live on the fast food diet all the time either.

I'd recommend scouting out 7-Eleven, FamilyMart and other convenience stores - they sell a lot of healthy, inexpensive prepared foods.

So I've heard. From what I read in cycle-journals, especially the Seicomart bento variety in Hokkaido is highly esteemed.

Bussankan and inexpensive buffet 2012/8/11 17:21
SEA monster,

I would recommend two options, especially in the rural Japan.

Since you will be travelling by bicycle, you will go through rural area every day. You can find "Bussankan" which is "local production for local consumption" store. Farmers around the area bring their products to the Bussankan and sell them in reasonable prices. There will be Mochi (Japanese rice cake), Dango (Japanese dumpling) cooked vegetables, and fish.

The second option is local buffet restaurants. These are in the rural area, for local people. For lunch, the "all you can eat" fare might be below 1000 yen, and the food is mainly vegetables and rice with some fish and chicken, and therefore relatively healthy. If you are not familiar with Japanese language, print the following words and show them people around you.

安いバイキング・ランチ(1000円まで)
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: What else should I try? 2012/8/12 00:30
Since you will be travelling by bicycle, you will go through rural area every day. You can find "Bussankan" which is "local production for local consumption" store.

That's a great suggestion. I'd much rather support the local farmers than some corporate chains (plus the authentic experience). I read that there are about 5,000 farmer's and morning markets in Japan, so I am assuming they should be easily identifiable (that's the symbol for farmer's market ファーマーズマーケット, right?).

The second option is local buffet restaurants.

That should be fun. I don't speak any Japanese, but I am not shy to engage in conversation regardless. I'd love to see the local joints. Thank you for the note (安いバイキング・ランチ(1000円まで)). Google translates it as "Viking cheap lunch (up to 1000 yen)". Chuckle, chuckle.

Thank you.

Re: What else should I try? 2012/8/12 12:53
(that's the symbol for farmer's market ファーマーズマーケット, right?

Well, Bussankan is not exactly identical to farmer's market in Europe. I think farmer's market is some kind of spontaneous movement of the farmers, however, Bussankan in Japan is somewhat artificial, lead by local government. I think the number of Bussankan increased rapidly during recent 10 years. Other than that, Bussankan resembles farmer's market and you will find local foods there. By the way, in the rural area, foreign tourists are very rare, and if you talk with locals, it is very rare experience for them. Perhaps most of the people living in the rural Japan have not met real live Czechs. You will make many local people happy, by just communicating with them. Please remember some Japanese phrases.

Sumimasen (Excuse me).
Kore wa nani? (What is this?)
Yasai? (vegetable?)
Sakana? (fish?)
Watashi wa Cheko-jin desu (I am a Czechs).
Cheko kara kimashita (I am from Czech.)
Arigatou (Thank you.)
Sayonara (Good bye.)

Google translates it as "Viking cheap lunch (up to 1000 yen)". Chuckle, chuckle.

Haha, in Japanese, バイキング has two meanings, one is "Norse explorers, warriors, merchants, and pirates (Wikipedia)" while another is a style for restaurant providing all you can eat foods.

Enjoy your trip in Japan!

Re: What else should I try? 2012/8/12 20:18
Arigatou, frog1954.

Re: What else should I try? 2012/8/12 22:58
SEA monster,

Dou Itashimashite (You're welcome).

I wish you have safe trip in Japan.

reply to this thread