Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Identifying a mobile number 2012/8/12 02:34
A friend calls me from abroad using a cell phone. The number begins with +81. When i ask her if she is in japan, she says no and tells me she is in Australia. But another friend of mine saw the whole number and said it is japan's number provided by au. Can i please check if it is really from Japan or Australia?
by Tony Lunsford (guest)  

Re: Identifying a mobile number 2012/8/12 10:31
au is a mobile phone company. If your friend is using a mobile phone, her phone number would be Japanese (starting with 81), but she could be located in Australia (or anywhere else in the world). I don't think there is a way for callees to figure out the location of callers who use mobile phones.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Identifying a mobile number 2012/8/14 08:05
You need to provide more information.

Where is the caller's phone from? i.e. Was she roaming overseas with her Japanese phone?

Where were you located at the time?
by SandyS (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Identifying a mobile number 2012/8/14 09:24
Easiest way would be to ask your friend with the phone whether she has a phone number from Japan or not.
by snooch (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Identifying a mobile number 2012/8/14 09:25
No further information is needed, SandyS.

As Uji said, au is a Japanese mobile phone company, so no matter where the caller is going with that phone, it will remain as a Japanese number, meaning, beginning with +81 then followed by either 90 or 80, indicating that it's a Japanese mobile number. There is no way to tell if that phone is located in Japan or in Australia. If she is in Australia, she is on "overseas roaming," but the number will still be Japan number.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread