Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Effect anti icing nozzles 2012/8/16 04:29
Hi,

In several towns in Japan i have seen anti icing nozzles in the road surfaces. Because i have never been in Japan during the winter (well ones but that was over 40 years ago) i have no idea how effective this system is. Can somebody tell me this?
Also i have looked at youtube for a video with these nozzles working but could not find this. Any suggestions where to find a video where you can see how it works?

B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest)  

Re: Effect anti icing nozzles 2012/8/16 12:34
I've seen it when my family went skiing at Yuzawa? onsen/ski town a long time ago.
Here is a recent summary report on road snow melting technologies. http://www.pwri.go.jp/jpn/seika/pdf/report-seika/2002-3-02.pdf
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Effect anti icing nozzles 2012/8/16 20:05
I have video of these in use at the JR Maibara station when I last went in March as our Hikari ride arrives. Funny how it was blue skies in Tokyo, get to Maibara and it's snowing and blue skies when I get to Kyoto/Osaka. I will upload to youtube soon (few days) and post again here when done....
by John B (digs Japan) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Effect anti icing nozzles 2012/8/24 05:24
Thanks for the responses so far.
John B, looking forward to your video's.

B. Slager
by B. Slager (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Effect anti icing nozzles 2012/8/25 08:14
This is the video. http://youtu.be/sYalXnYaAA4 You can see the sprinklers work about 15 seconds in. It's not the best quality, so I apologize....

I've been told that in Nagoya they pump sea water onto the streets to prevent snow accumulation.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Effect anti icing nozzles 2012/8/28 18:59
Hi John B,

Have you uploaded the correct video or provided the correct link? I see a train entering Maiburu and no nozzles.

B. Slager

Re: Effect anti icing nozzles 2012/8/28 22:26
by max. 40 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Effect anti icing nozzles 2012/9/9 05:20
Thanks Max, for the link,

Interesting, and with the related function of Youtube i found also some other video's.

Butch

reply to this thread