Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is there much English spoken in Japan? 2012/8/21 20:49
Hi, I am traveling to Japan in September for a holiday with my wife we a planning to go to Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo. I was wondering do many japanese speak english? Will it be hard to get around, going shopping and going to resturant ordering food? Without knowing any Japanese.

by Hqt  

Re: Is there much English spoken in Japan? 2012/8/22 09:38
I was wondering do many japanese speak english?

No, not really. The hotel clerks and information desk people may speak or at least understand a little. The average person is not conversational.

Will it be hard to get around, going shopping and going to resturant ordering food? Without knowing any Japanese.

No, its not really difficult. Despite many people not speaking much English, there is lots of English signage and menus. Other than that, all you really need is patience and good humor and you'll be fine in pretty much any situation. Or course, any bit of Japanese that you can learn before your trip will help and make you more comfortable during your travels.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Is there much English spoken in Japan? 2012/8/22 18:38
Thanks yellowsmurf
by Hqt rate this post as useful

Re: Is there much English spoken in Japan? 2012/8/22 21:09
Japanese who living in big city good speaker 10-20% walking always ur around.

if not understand dont worry just easy
show them text by cell phone,iPad,NotePC or memo(by Pen).
use "google translate" reccomend.
http://translate.google.com/
(dont forget speaker icon click)

Most Japanese just not good listining speaking faster.
at first time speaking slower best.

and hope learn basic Japanese before.
http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/language/quickjapanese/quickjapanese04.ht...
http://youtu.be/Dy6mUM7o9YM
by Teto (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is there much English spoken in Japan? 2012/8/22 22:31
It's not really about knowing English as much as understanding English. Most Japanese take it in school for 6 years but they don't practice it much. You also have to see it from their point of view. There's American English and Australian English and England English, etc., all with different accents. That is probably what the Japanese don't understand-the spoken language.

I've had many occurences where I would dig my writing pad from my daypack and be approached by several employees or people curious to see what I was writing. When they read what I was writing they immediately knew what I meant. They understand the language, but listening to it must be hard for them.

I always take a pad of paper with me, but I also research with my phone apps the words I cannot remember in Japanese.

A little Japanese can go a long way in breaking the ice with people. I've been told they appreciate you trying to learn the language, (I certainly would) but I do know you get a way better response....
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

You will be fine 2012/8/23 02:47
You are more likely to meet people who can speak a little English in major centres like those you are planning to visit. I have always given the following advice to people who are thinking of visiting for the first time.

Be able to say please, thank you and excuse me.
Know the symbols for Man & Woman to avoid embarrassing mistakes :)
Restaurant ordering can often be done by pointing either at the menu or the plastic food models.
Be able to use chopsticks.
Dont be picky about your food.
Enjoy.
by Stan Norrell (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread