Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dried fruits, seeds and nuts 2012/8/23 08:17
Hi,

I wonder what's the selection of these in supermarkets, and what they usually cost (raisins in particular).

Thank you
by SEA monster (guest)  

Re: Dried fruits, seeds and nuts 2012/8/24 05:16
Many convenient stores and supermarkets have dried fruits on sale. Upscale supermarkets like Ikari have a wider selection.
by ryokans (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dried fruits, seeds and nuts 2012/8/24 06:55
Thanks, ryokans. I still cannot figure out the price level. I found one Japanese on-line reseller, so that gives me some idea. But I am not sure how much retail mark-up I should add to the price

http://www.ohtsuya.com/e-commex/cgi-bin/ex_disp_category/id/df-food-00...

I eat tons of this stuff while bike touring.
by SEA monster (guest) rate this post as useful

Discount Stores 2012/8/26 11:16
If you will consume a lot of raisin and dried fruits, you should find so-called "Discount Stores" or "Discount Super".

These are big stores located in the suburban area. I guess there should be 5 to 20 discount stores in a prefecture (Ken).

Today I went a discount store nearby and found 500 g raisin sold at 298 yen. I think this is comparable to the price shown above in an Ame-yoko store which I think the cheapest in Japan.

Actually, raisin is not that popular in Japan by itself though it is popular as raisin bread and raisin cookie, and therefore the space for raisin in normal grocery stores and in convenience stores is small, and the price is relatively high.

Other than raisin and dried fruits, Discount stores sell many types of foods in affordable prices. These stores are in general not the national brand: Most of them have relatively narrow area (one or two prefectures). If you tell the name of the prefecture, I will show you the name of the discount stores in that prefecture.
by frog1954 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dried fruits, seeds and nuts 2012/8/26 12:05
If you tell the name of the prefecture, I will show you the name of the discount stores in that prefecture.

That would be most kind of you, Mr. frog. With the exception of Okinawa (and maybe 3 or 4 other prefectures), I plan to travel through all of them. I am afraid that's too many to ask of you. But whatever info you can provide on the discount stores per prefecture will be much appreciated and incorporated in my route planning. I suppose I could save a great deal, if I were doing my restocking (and not only of dried fruit) primarily at these places.

Thank you

Re: Dried fruits, seeds and nuts 2012/8/26 13:17
SEA monster,

With the exception of Okinawa (and maybe 3 or 4 other prefectures), I plan to travel through all of them.

That will be a long trip (by bicycle?) and you should save daily expense. For example, you may be able to save money by getting free water. Throughout the country, there are many fountains where you can take water for free. In the town you can find many parks where you can use free tap water.

The food of the discount store is, ahh, in general, not so good. You can buy factory made yogurt at a cheaper price which is the same also in a expensive convenience stores. But as for "take away" foods such as Bento box, you can find better ones in other type of stores (such as family run Bento stores or Bussankan). Honestly, today I bought some Bento boxes for our family and they are very cheap in price but also cheap in taste.

I think your travel experiences will be very interesting for the participants of Japanguide, so I hope you to write your travel plan in advance. I think someone here will tell you specific tips about the area. Personally I will be happy if you contact me before you come to Kagoshima!
by frog1954 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dried fruits, seeds and nuts 2012/8/27 13:31
Personally I will be happy if you contact me before you come to Kagoshima!

I most certainly will, Mr. frog. Thank you :-)

reply to this thread