Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it bad luck to give Jp woman a black tote 2012/9/3 09:49
The tote bag has the the Metropolitan Museum in NY logo on it. WE don't want to offend by sending a gift that is black or is that not a problem?
by Tom (guest)  

Re: Is it bad luck to give Jp woman a black tote 2012/9/3 11:22
No problem, of course!
In the first place, your care for her make her happy.
Japanese love to exchange gifts, it means that I think of you.
Goods is only representation of your heart.

If you visit sick person in hospital and give a potted plant,
s/he will laugh and thank you, never get angry.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Is it bad luck to give Jp woman a black tote 2012/9/4 19:08
The above answer gives the wrong impression that no matter what you give, even if it is bad luck, the receiver will thank you for the thoughts and tolerate the gift. (just to explain in case the original poster is not familiar with the "potted plant" custom: you are not supposed to give as a gift to someone in hospital potted plants as they suggest the patient might "take root" in the hospital and stay there for a long time as potted plants have roots.)

No, the color black is by itself does not stand for bad luck, people in Japan use/wear clothing, shoes, and bags of black colors. There are formal wear and accessories of black colors and of certain styles that the Japanese people would wear only to formal occasions including funerals, but those are distinct and sold specifically for those purposes in Japan. And something stylish as that kind of museum logo bag will not be considered to suggest anything related to bad luck at all. Don't worry, I think that bag would make a nice stylish gift :)
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it bad luck to give Jp woman a black tote 2012/9/4 20:14
Thank you, AK!

Sorry, I said what's unnecessary.
I should have say "No problem, a black tote never mean bad luck" only.
by ajapaneseboy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread