Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I send a knife by mail to the US? 2012/9/3 09:59
I'm thinking of sending a kitchen knife to my sister in the US. Can I send it from Japan to the US by mail? I'm not planning a trip home any time soon, so bringing it in my luggage is not an option.
by Joanna (guest)  

Re: Can I send a knife by mail to the US? 2012/9/3 10:51
Yes, but there may be some customs duty depending on the value of the knife.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/gifts.xml
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Can I send a knife by mail to the US? 2012/9/4 03:57
I hope you are buying a ''hocho'' the classic japanese kitchen knife, they are wonderful. they are beveled on only one edge
are very sharp, and are made with the worlds finest steel. they are subject to rusting instantly as they are not stainless steel. they are worth it yet pricy, and will last several lifetimes and are a treasure. they come in many sizes ansd styles. i have several and are great.
by peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Yes Re: Can I send a knife by mail to the US? 2012/9/6 07:31
Yes you can.
INTERNATIONAL POSTAL RULES
"Sharp objects Sharp objects like knives, kitchen utensils and gardening tools may only be posted if they are packaged appropriately so that they are no risk to employees, other postal items or recipients."

If they are on the original safety plastic case it will be perfect; then find or make the right box, best you to buy the box at the post office and lower one side.

To have no customs harassment, use the international "R.R. letter service" which allows you to send personal items also in a box, therefore you can send more than 1 knife.

Is many years I am using RR for any kind of stuffs in and out JP the first thing to note is that the maximum weight is 2 Kg.

Be sure 100% to use only international "R.R. Letter" in Japanese "kakitome" Check the code near the bar code must start "RR". Be careful to check "if they really giving you "RR"! I had some discussion that always ended with my right to use this service and... "no way to fill any customs paper!" because RR does not need!

Most of the time clerks will set up story to make you believe you need to fill a customs paper for RR, which is not true.
To make the delivery more sure, ask to have delivery receipt, in Japanese "uketoritsuchi" which is a pinky or orange letter to attach, it will cost around 100 yen, then fill this return letter very clearly; the clerk will end to fill this paper, and attach it in a transparent plastic envelope.

Note:
-RR letter cannot be insured (Do not ask! Is a good way to get a different service.)
-RR letter cannot be opened by customs, in case of problems the pocket must return to you unopened.

Very important how you label the pocket:
Make a small doc and print it out!

First block:
SENDER: Your Full name, complete address, tel. numb. (Normal font, size not less than 12)

Second block:
ADDRESSEE: Full name, (*specify the family relationship Eg Mother, Father, brother etc.) complete address, tel. Numb (3-4 times bigger font of the above Eg 15)

Third block:
Content: Specify the content in Japanese and then in English.
*If the pocket is coming to you from your country specify "Personal item for personal use, or gift."
*If you are sending, specify "Gift for family member." (Birthday gift... Etc)
Fonts between the first and the second.
Do not write any value!! And nothing else!

Cut each block separately. Stick the first and the second on the box top, the third on one side.
(Better you to stick the first and second at the office, since they have to put the RR transparent envelope, even they say these labels are no need you, should obtain to stick them. I use to stick with very large transparent tape covering all the text to protect)

At the end the clerk will decide where to stick the last transparent envelope with the return receipth of delivery that may be at the box buttom.

For family menbers you can use this way expecially for national holidays, birthday etc. But do not exceed because without opening customs scann the content and keep note of it, you may be asked what are you doing using it too much. Do not exceed the value which should be less than around 150USD. Do not try to be clever, sending something you should not and you will enjoy RR privacy and reliability

Do not worry about the insurance I have regular RR, and never miss any international RR shipment in 8 years. Off course you are able to track it online.
by luca (guest) rate this post as useful

EC YES -Re: Can I send a knife by mail to the US? 2012/9/6 07:38
Yes you can.
INTERNATIONAL POSTAL RULES
"Sharp objects Sharp objects like knives, kitchen utensils and gardening tools may only be posted if they are packaged appropriately so that they are no risk to employees, other postal items or recipients."

If they are on the original safety plastic case it will be perfect; then find or make the right box, best you to buy the box at the post office and lower one side.

To have no customs harassment, use the international "R.R. letter service" which allows you to send personal items also in a box, therefore you can send more than 1 knife.

Is many years I am using RR for any kind of stuffs in and out JP the first thing to note is that the maximum weight is 2 Kg.

Be sure 100% to use only international "R.R. Letter" in Japanese "kakitome" Check the code near the bar code must start "RR". Be careful to check "if they really giving you "RR"! I had some discussion that always ended with my right to use this service and... "no way to fill any customs paper!" because RR does not need!

Most of the time clerks will set up story to make you believe you need to fill a customs paper for RR, which is not true.
To make the delivery more sure, ask to have delivery receipt, in Japanese "uketoritsuchi" which is a pinky or orange letter to attach, it will cost around 100 yen, then fill this return letter very clearly; the clerk will end to fill this paper, and attach it in a transparent plastic envelope.

Note:
-RR letter cannot be insured (Do not ask! Is a good way to get a different service.)
-RR letter cannot be opened by customs, in case of problems the pocket must return to you unopened.

Very important how you label the pocket:
Make a small doc and print it out!

First block:
SENDER: Your Full name, complete address, tel. numb. (Normal font, size not less than 12)

Second block:
ADDRESSEE: Full name, (*specify the family relationship Eg Mother, Father, brother etc.) complete address, tel. Numb (3-4 times bigger font of the above Eg 15)

Third block:
Content: Specify the content in Japanese and then in English.
*If the pocket is coming to you from your country specify "Personal item for personal use, or gift." Then specify each item, no brand and others.
*If you are sending, specify "Gift for family member." (Birthday gift... Etc) Then specify each item, no brand and others.
Fonts between the first and the second.
Do not write any value!! And nothing else!

Cut each block separately. Stick the first and the second on the box top, the third on one side.
(Better you to stick the first and second at the office, since they have to put the RR transparent envelope, even they say these labels are no need you, should obtain to stick them. I use to stick with very large transparent tape covering all the text to protect)

At the end the clerk will decide where to stick the last transparent envelope with the return receipth of delivery that may be at the box buttom.

For family menbers you can use this way expecially for national holidays, birthday etc. But do not exceed because without opening customs scann the content and keep note of it, you may be asked what are you doing using it too much. Do not exceed the value which should be less than around 150 USD. Do not try to be clever, sending something you should not and you will enjoy RR privacy and reliability

Do not worry about the insurance I have regular RR, and never miss any international RR shipment in 8 years. Off course you are able to track it online.
by Luca (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread