Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mount Fuji eruption 2012/9/8 12:49
This morning I read a scientific report that claims that Japan is getting ready for the potential eruption of Mount Fuji; I am now listening to a radio programn where they indicate that the government plans to implement an evacuation plan of the impacted area in mid 2013...is there any truth to this? I am now planning a trip to Japan in October 2013 and I am wondering just how tourism will be impacted...possible travel restrictions etc...can anyone comment on this? thank you..
by cesar romero retes (guest)  

Re: Mount Fuji eruption 2012/9/8 13:30
There are currently no signs of an eruption, but another large earthquake could change the situation.

I am now listening to a radio programn where they indicate that the government plans to implement an evacuation plan of the impacted area in mid 2013...is there any truth to this?

There is a misunderstanding. There are no plans to implement an evacuation! Evacuations are only implemented if an eruption is actually about to happen. And that cannot usually be forecast by more than a few days or hours. The news story is simply about the authorities coming up with new, detailed evacuation plans by next spring.

Again, there are currently no signs of an eruption. It could be years, decades or centuries until the next eruption.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Fuji eruption 2012/9/8 14:14
There has always been the potential for Mt. Fuji to erupt, the potential isn't any greater now than it was last year or 20 years ago. The science isn't advanced enough that they can predict an eruption that will happen mid-way through next year- they are usually lucky if they can predict one a couple of days in advance.

There is nothing for tourism to be impacted by, no need to worry about the timing of your trip.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Fuji eruption 2012/9/9 01:18
Thank you for your responses...I will continue making my plans, saving money and doing the research for my first trip to Japan and count on laying my eyes on Fujisan...I share with you the link to a news release regarding this subject...again thank you...

http://now.msn.com/mount-fuji-close-to-erupting-experts-say
by Cesar Romero Retes (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Fuji eruption 2012/9/9 08:32
The news article contains at least one large factual mistakes and is pumped up with sensationalist wording. If you want to keep informed about Mount Fuji, I urge you to get your information from a different, more responsible news source!

The big factual mistake is the article claims that 300,000 deaths are expected from an eruption. That is nonsense! 300,000 deaths are expected in the absolute worst-case scenario of an earthquake and tsunami in the Pacific Ocean south of Central Japan, NOT from the eruption of Mount Fuji!

These days, volcanic eruptions can be forecast days in advance, and typically result in zero deaths. Nothing else is expected from an eruption by Mount Fuji. In case of a large eruption, it could have a big effect on Tokyo, the Tokaido transportation link and Japan's economy, though.

It is appalling what kind of news is published on the internet these days. I am wondering whether it is just professional negligence or intentional sensationalism.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Fuji eruption 2012/9/9 19:17
Sensationalist ignorance Uji: bad news sells....
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Fuji eruption 2012/9/9 21:33
That news article smells like bull$h!t
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Fuji eruption 2012/9/10 05:43
here is another similar article with more details...let us hope for the best...

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-09/06/mount-fuji
by cesar romero retes (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Fuji eruption 2012/9/10 14:18
As one of the replies to the article said...how did they measure the volcano pressure in the early 18th century? Wired is another pseudo-scientific rag..

lot of people near volcanoes that are not quite dead yet..In Washington state (USA) for example...life goes on...
One has more chances to die crossing the street in full day light at a pedestrian crossing, than by being snuffed out by a volcanic eruption.

Statistically one of the most dangerous place is your own bathroom..you could slip in your shower, bang your head on the side of the tub or the toilet and die right then and there.. or you could try to reach a hair dryer while in the tub full of water...the wire could have a tiny cut and ZAP! you are gone..
Or the tap handle could break off, very hot water hit you, you get 3rd burns, try to get out, slip,trip etc.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Fuji eruption 2012/9/11 11:32
Apparently Wired agrees with Monkey See and felt the need to debunk Wired UK's Mount Fuji article.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/09/doom-volcano-research-media/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Mount Fuji eruption 2012/9/11 13:21
Thank you for the article YllwSmrf...as I said, the plans for the trip are still on the table...and thank goodness for this Forum otherwise one is left wondering what is going on in fact...
by cromeroretes (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread