Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/10 01:01
An associate of mine is going to Japan to conduct a high level business transaction.

What is an appropiate gift for his Japanese counterpart? Price is no object, but he wants to give a gift that is not to over the top or too lowly.
He wants to give something that is American/regional in nature [ Boston Mass].

He is aware that there is much "gamesmanship" in these things and wants to come in right on target, and not offend.

Also, while I told him that we probably will not meet his wife, he wants to bring her something also, is this ok?

Perhaps a Rolex watch?..help!
by Peter (guest)  

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/10 22:12
I believe that a Rolex watch for a business gift is definitely over the top - I don't know what kind of transaction you are looking at, but something in that price range can almost be considered a bribe, you might want to be careful about that.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/10 22:29
AK..thank you, Rolex is out. This is a multi-million dollar multi-level deal. We certainly don't want to appear as if we are bribing anyone ! Is the price range a place to start ? if so, maybe $250. Or is price not a factor much. We want to be proper and appropiate. Maybe there is a company that does these things.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/11 00:07
I had worked for Japanese automobile company before, but their gift to American companies weren't so expensive because the company doesn't allow them to spend so much for these gifts. There are several kinds of gifts(souvenior) like company original ball point pen, clock, ornament, etc. For the women, they give a hand mirror with valuble texitile cover. I think these gifts cost about 8000 yen to 20000 yen or so. I don't think I ordered the highest gift while I was working there.

I think it is Ok to give the gift to wives or their families. Sweets might be a good idea.
by flower27 rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/11 08:55
OK, good ideas.
I can understand company policy on gifts, I don't believe it may apply here, but i'll check. Ballpoint pens seems a little weak, perhaps a set..??
Is there anything that should not be given because of Japanese tradition or superstitution ? like knives.
We are now thinking about a custom handmade tie, with personalized logo. Does that seem right. We are spooked with this Japanese gift giving problem.

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/11 10:11
If you're dealing with a big company with good reputation, you should be very careful about the personal gifts.
Many companies have very strict rules to avoid the internal control problem.
Giving/receiving gifts with excess value may regarded a form of bribery and either it could be declined or put the person involved into a very awkward situation.

I think the price range flower27 mentioned is reasonable.
by magonote (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/11 12:32
Good gift is product of your company or specialty of your country.
To introduce yourself.

And someting to eat that he can share with his fellow workers is better.
Japanese hate to mix up public and private matters.
So he think that you give the gift to his company, not to him.

Japanese love to exchange gifts, but it means greeting.
Japanese never accept high priced gift, in that case, refusal is not considered to be discourteous.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/11 21:40
I think the ball pen they usually brought to abroad is somewhat similar like this one.
http://www.pen-house.net/detail/detail12506_012.html
It was the company original. I think the company logo was printed somewhere.
And the ball pan was less than 3000 yen. It was the cheapest of all the gifts as I remember.

I also remember this kind of pen tray. It was shippo cloisonne
http://www.ando-shippo.co.jp/cgi-bin/collection/page.cgi?act=page&id=p...

For a hand mirror, they used Kawashima textile. I could not find any images.
I think it was more than 10000 yen.
http://www.kawashimaselkon.co.jp/index.html

Many of their gifts are either company original gifts or traditional Japanese crafts.

I donft think of any gifts that not appropriate. We do have some customs in sending gifts, for instance, some flowers are not appreciate as gifts.

Necktie is not bad idea but there days Japanese business men donft wear necktie during summer time to save energy. Every men has their own taste in their tie, so may be a bit difficult to choose.

If your associate is coming from Boston, how about Red sox goods? Red sox orYankees goods are welcomed by Japanese, tanks for Japanese players like Matsuzaka or Ichiro. Bubbleheads of these Japanese players might make a good gifts to someone who have a good sense of humor. Even though they wonft like the bubblehead, they can give it to someone who like MBA. I do want a Ichiro bubble head because it will increase its value in the future. Actually I tried to get Ichirofs photo with Yankees team mate from Yankees goods shop but the photo was owned by the New York times so it was a bit expensive!

So I recommend you to buy some gifts that are a little bit hard to get in Japan.
by flower27 rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/11 22:39
Speaking of foods, you can airship aged steaks too. Some of them come in decorative boxes. I'm sure that'll make a good impression.
by The Dude (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/11 23:38
Sorry for being Off the topic

Flower27

Hey are you living in japan?Aren't you from Malaysia?Did you move to japan with your Japanese boyfriend?I was following your post few years back then you stopped writing.It would be nice if you update us with your story.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/11 23:41
Oh Boy
This is getting more complicated that I thought. I knew we needed help on this.

How about Maple Sugar Candies from Vermont ?

they are very sweet, but local, and can be shared.

I believe that this is a "private" company
so maybe the rules are more flexable. We will keep it simple regardless.

More suggestions please !

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/12 00:44
Food is a great option.Nice chocolates,candy,cake are the most usual food japanese people give as gift.

For wife mirror,hand made purse,scarf(do not go for brand),antique ornament box or photo frame would be nice option.

Please keep it mind that your gift should be unique and rare in japan.Do not go for high price.

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/12 01:29
I think were there.

Maple Sugar Candies from Vermont.

They are pretty, regional, sweet but tasty,
come in packages that can be split around the office, are not that expensive.

A gift box is about $ 50.00 serves 25, @ one each.

Is this ok ?

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/12 01:41
I think its okay.

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/12 02:35
OK..thats it

I want to thank you all for your help and
advice, I think you saved us huge embarrassment. I am glad we did this right.
We had no idea about the delacies involved.

This should go well from here.

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/13 09:22
Try finding Maple Syrup Whisky to go with that. Usually comes in smaller bottles like Canadian Ice Wine. Huge hit when I brought it in, same with maple candies kn a nkce wooden box. Whisky i bought was running about 80$ CAD for a 375ml bottle. So not too expensive or cheap. And you cannot coare any Suntory crap to it.
by orletafc (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/13 09:25
Forgot to mentkon I recieved "hand made" chopsticks in a hand carved wooden box....2yrs later still in that box but beh the deal got signed.

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/13 09:28
Oooh..
that sounds good..will look into that. Is there any stigma on liquor ?
Good suggestion. thanks

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/13 10:31
Not really, they have their SAKE which can run quite expensive too. And sometimes they make you drink it from little wooden boxes(instead of a cup)....

Being Canadian MAPLE SYRUP is a great gift same with Ice Wine. But damn I rmbr Vermont has maple syrup too. Whisky is popular, huge selection in Japan(CanadianClub being popular....nothing special if you ask me) but NEVER have seen a Maple Syrup Whiskey(the one I mentioned come from Quebec).

http://www.saq.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10...

Gin, Rum and such not too popular. Good Vodka might be an idea. Althou I tried sticking with WHISKEY as both US and Canada are know for it. Would be great if you can find a small batch of something local.

Re: Gift for Japanese businessman 2012/9/13 10:35
Oh yeah also they like to know details that some of us would be bored or wouldn't care. When I got the Maple Syrup Whiskey it came with a small tourist/info book. Didn't think anyhing of it but they were quite interested about how it's made, etc. Hey whatever They were happy(and truly not just to look nice) and so was I, smiling from ear to ear.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

reply to this thread