Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Particular usage of moshiagemasu 2012/9/17 13:06
In the vocabulary example here:

http://www.1101.com/yomenago/go_050708_02.html

「も、もうしあげますっ!
 敵兵が全裸で突進してきました!」
「むぅ‥‥なりふりかまわず来たな」

What does this usage of "moshiagemasu" mean? I understand that it's the humble version of "iimasu," but nothing is being said. Since this is a something like a soldier reporting to a superior officer, does "moushiagemasu" just mean something like "A report!" - just a preface that he has something to say?

I appreciate any help.
by indigozeal (guest)  

Re: Particular usage of moshiagemasu 2012/9/17 14:03
Correct. Have you heard "moshi moshi" at the beginning of tel. calling or answering? It is a shortened form of "moshiagemasu"
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Particular usage of moushiagemasu 2012/9/18 02:26
Since this is a something like a soldier reporting to a superior officer, does "moushiagemasu" just mean something like "A report!"

Yes.
I am not sure whether this phrase was actually used in the past in this way, but similar examples are heard in common in period dramas.

Have you heard "moshi moshi"...? It is a shortened form of "moushiagemasu"

I suppose not.
"Moshi moshi" is a repetition of "moshi," which is a shortened from of "moushi."

Grammatically "moushiageru [ 申し上げる ]" is a doubly humble word.
In the past, this word was used when the listener was in a higher social position than the Subject .
As the time went by, the humbleness of "mousu [ 申す ]" faded; now we usually use this verb in "-masu" form and, when the listener is to be respected, use it with "ageru [ 上げる ] ."

For example, we might say "Watashi wa __ to moushimasu" {My name is __.} even when the listener is a fresh person who has joined our team, and we say "Kokoro yori o-rei / on-rei moushiagemasu [ 心より御礼申し上げます ]" {I express my thanks from my heart.}, not "Kokoro yori o-rei / on-rei wo moushimasu."

"Moushiagemasu" can also work as a subsidiary verb, as in "Shochuu o-mimai -moushiagemasu [ 暑中お見舞い申し上げます ]" {Let me send a greeting of this hot season .}
(The verb "mimau [ 見舞う ]" is tricky.
"O-mimai-mousu" means being sincerely concerned about.
"Mousho ni mimawareru" means being struck by intense heat.
"Panchi o mimau" means giving a punch.)

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Particular usage of moshiagemasu 2012/9/18 10:52
I didn't know that about "moshi moshi"! Thank you both.
by indigozeal (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread