Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Child taking a shower at Ryokan 2012/9/27 10:29
I am a single mum. I am taking my 11 years old son to Matsumoto next year. After reading so many positive reviews I booked 5 nights at the Ryokan Seifuso. Now I start to worry.

My son is shy for his age. He definitely wouldnft go into the bath with strangers. I still expect him to take a shower every day. The owner said they do have showers in the shared bath.

Can he just take a shower and come out without using the bath? Is there any special etiquette for taking a shower in Ryokans?
by Guest (guest)  

Re: Child taking a shower at Ryokan 2012/9/28 07:44
Can he just take a shower and come out without using the bath?

Sure, no problem.

Is there any special etiquette for taking a shower in Ryokans?

Generally you would shower while sitting. Try not to spray your neighbors and tidy up your shower area when you're done. See more here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2292_how.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Child taking a shower at Ryokan 2012/9/28 08:19
If I'm correct, there generally aren't individual stalls, so people can see each other while they are bathing prior to getting into the bath. If this is do, it might be very disconcerting to someone who is shy.
by John B digs Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Child taking a shower at Ryokan 2012/9/28 08:45
Thank you for your answers.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Privacy at Ryokan 2012/9/28 09:47
Gooday. Having previously been a shy person at the onsen baths, I'd suggest that your son look to get down early in the morning and before six PM. A lot of the time the baths are pretty much empty during the week days anyway (the ryokans are usually busier on Fridays through the weekend), but early morning in particular is a good time if you want the place to yourself. But if you were ever going to go naked in front of other guys, in another country and in front of strangers is ideal. it is not as though they are going to point and laugh. And no, there arent stalls.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Child taking a shower at Ryokan 2012/9/28 18:22
you can also take your mini washing towel into the bathing area.(larger towel stays with your clothes in the locker for drying yourself).
The mini towel (a long rectangle) is used by shy people for covering up, a child should easily be able to wrap it around their waist like a mini skirt...then it is not so different from wearing swimming shorts on the beach.
by tokyoguy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread