Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Social Networking or Facebook in Japan? 2012/10/3 00:26
I was wanting to try to reconnect with a few past aquaintainces from Japan. What is the main type of social networking used within Japan or is Facebook or Myspace the main way?
by Stewy1965 (guest)  

Re: Social Networking or Facebook in Japan? 2012/10/3 08:34
I'm pretty sure the Japanese have their own social networks that work for them better than FB or MS... You will see Japanese on both FB and MS, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to use one of theirs.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Social Networking or Facebook in Japan? 2012/10/3 17:33
Not sure about others, but mixi seems to be the main one used, but it's difficult to get a mixi account now if you don't have a Japanese e-mail address or either a mobile phone e-mail (not sure). I was lucky and got mine back in 2008 before that rule was put into play...yet I haven't used my mixi in forever. lol
by SSJ Jup81 rate this post as useful

Re: Social Networking or Facebook in Japan? 2012/10/3 18:15
As SSJ Jup81 said, mixi is very popular and have a history.
Next marks are mobage, gree and LINE, they are used by students.
Maybe Google+ will catch up.

But I think maybe Twitter is the most popular and active in Japan.

About Facebook, I think Japanese hate to show both side of public/private faces on 1 account.
So FB is not used well, but slowly growing for public/official face.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Social Networking or Facebook in Japan? 2012/10/3 20:08
I believe that Facebook is gaining popularity, while Mixi is losing theirs.

One difficulty with Mixi is that people can just register with a nickname, so that unless you are TOLD by your Japanese friend what their handle name is, you cannot "search" for anyone. People interested in interacting with the world are signing up more with Facebook, I'd say, where you can search people with their real names.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Social Networking or Facebook in Japan? 2012/10/3 20:49
Facebook is growing very quickly, and Mixi is in decline. Nobody uses MySpace.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Social Networking or Facebook in Japan? 2012/10/3 21:41
Thanks for all the replies - I guess Facebook would be the best option then?
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

Re: Social Networking or Facebook in Japan? 2012/10/4 13:47
Mixi is headed in the direction of MySpace.

I never use FB on the PC but on a mobile phone or smart phone its simple, non-evasive (in terms of privacy and advertisements), and really extends your connectivity with friends.

The Mixi format is cluttered and not as attractive so it seems like people are flooding to FB. Of all my friends that use social networking, I only know one who actively uses Mixi.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

Re: Social Networking or Facebook in Japan? 2012/10/10 17:45
well facebook has become famous in world wide.so i think Japanese too use facebook.
by jacobs8891 rate this post as useful

Re: Social Networking or Facebook in Japan? 2012/10/10 18:09
facebook if they're interested in international matters.

Generally mixi or ameba.
by Takeda's ghost (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread