Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

5 to 6 sushi 2012/10/12 16:53
Hi all,
just have a few questions about sushi!

a) How much can I eat? All of it?!

b) I saw a movie called "Jiro Dreams of Sushi", and in it some customers (I think all female) ate their sushi by hand, as in picked it up, dipped it in soy sauce*, then ate it. All by hand. I found this a bit surprising. Is it "normal"?

c) We've made a reservation at a sushi restaurant and the concierge at our hotel says "their 8400yen course is included 5 to 6 sushi".
Would this be 5 to 6 *single* pieces? Or would a serve be 2 pieces (as it is here in Oz).
If it's 5 single pieces, the price is equivalent to Jiro's! And he's have movies made about him!

* I'm not 100% there was sauce dipping, actually
by ausmomo  

Re: 5 to 6 sushi 2012/10/12 21:05

a) not exactly sure what your Q is but er.. yes!

b) great movie eh? and yes, eating sushi by hand is completely normal.. you can either do that or use hashi (chopsticks)...

c) that does seem quite high for 5 or 6 single pieces but it's hard to say specifically without knowing which restaurant you've booked for. At one of the top end sushiya, that sort of price is likely for a set containing 10 - 12 pieces normally but I've been to places where you could pay that amount for only 5 or 6 pieces.

If you're a typical Aussie, 5 or 6 pieces will not be anywhere near enough as a filling meal! You might want to consider booking at a less expensive restaurant where you can eat your fill for a more reasonable price...
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 5 to 6 sushi 2012/10/12 21:27
"that does seem quite high for 5 or 6 single pieces but it's hard to say specifically without knowing which restaurant you've booked for"

It's a place name Sushi Iwa (www.sushiiwa.jp).

I do like my food, and could easily wolf down 15-20 pcs of sushi nigiri :)

Luckily our hotel is 100m from a Miyomoto Sushi.
by ausmomo rate this post as useful

Re: 5 to 6 sushi 2012/10/12 21:37
c) Or they will serve sushi and others.
I think maybe there is a Japanese restaurant not sushi speciality restaurant.

For example, 8,400yen lunch course at "Yanone Sushi" in Royal Park Hotel.
http://yanone.co.jp/royal.html
appetizer, relishes, Sashimi, season's a la carte, grilled or boiled fish, Sushi, soup, dessert
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: 5 to 6 sushi 2012/10/12 21:44
Sushi Iwa...?
Oh no, there is the exclusive sushi speciality restaurant.
It's beyond my expectation, I can't visit there.(x_x;
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: 5 to 6 sushi 2012/10/13 09:19
Their course meals include appetizer, sashimi, soup, sushi and desert and more if you order an expensive course. I think the concierge meant to say you'll get 5-6 courses.
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

reply to this thread