Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Bedding 2012/10/15 11:15
I am looking to buy a Japanese futon bed for my apartment here in the states. What do I need to look for? When I am going to the store or online in my new bed? Do I only need a futon? what is all need to make a Japanese futon bed.

Please help me

Thank you
Jennifer
by Jennifer Martin  

Re: Japanese Bedding 2012/10/15 16:39
At the most basic you need the mattress (futon or shikibuton), a comforter (kakebuton), and a pillow. You probably want to get covers (futon cover, duvet, and pillowcase) for each of those items to keep them clean. See this page for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futon
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Bedding 2012/10/15 17:26
Basically a futon mattress is essential.

However if you are setting it up in the States on hard floor instead of tatami floor(as in many Japanese homes) then you need:
1. at least three pieces of tatami rush mats (size 2.5-3.0 ft sq)- the thickness, weave, coating matter and color for long term care. There are only single mats. The smell is luxurious and very soothing to aid sound sleep progress.
2. futon mattress - foldable in 3 sections. Price varies by thickness, hardness, softness or memory foam material. There are only single futon mattresses available.

3. futon zipped or fitted size covers- essential to keep surface clean-usually slighter larger size than mats -need to get from same place as futon sizes are tough to coordinate from different stores. The zipped is economical choice. Design or thickness varies from the many futon suppliers dep on prefecture

Shopping for Japanese bedding -stick to the season for multiple intricate choices.

Note some tatami has fixed underneath ties prevent mats shift during movement.

If you order online you might be getting previous year models unless you target spring catalogue. They are popular summer bedding only- the rushes weed has a cooling effect as it allows air circulation.

Note that mats and mattresses should be removed off floor avoid moisture contamination preferably short indirect sun exposure periods when not used to avoid mites-attracted to humid warmth. Otherwise, the process with special cleaning agent and brush is laborious.

It is a wonderful experience breathing rush scent luring to sleep.
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Bedding 2012/10/15 17:28
I have nothing more to add after yllwsmrf said...
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Bedding 2012/10/15 17:54
Just a few quick comments:

However if you are setting it up in the States on hard floor instead of tatami floor(as in many Japanese homes) then you need:
1. at least three pieces of tatami rush mats

Tatami will be even harder to find than futon in the US, and really expensive too. And its not necessarily essential even when sleeping on harder floors. Alternatively, you can set your futon up on a thick area rug, closed cell foam mats, or even a second futon if you need the extra padding. Just be sure to air out your futon regularly as these things don't breath as well as tatami.

2. futon mattress - There are only single futon mattresses available.

Double, and semi-double sizes are also available.

They are popular summer bedding only

Not sure if exactly what you're referring to, but futon are popular year-round.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Bedding 2012/10/16 02:20
Thank you everyone for answering my question.

I do have another question to ask. Where would be a good website to buy all the items I need?
by Jennifer Martin rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Bedding 2012/10/16 23:39
This site should have everything you need:

http://www.jlifeinternational.com/index_e.html
by stevenjv (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread