Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bringing Indian Food Items to Japan 2012/10/16 16:41
Hello! I am going to Japan to work for a few years. Can I carry with me a jar of pickles my mother made, and some mixed fruit jam also as part of the check-in luggage ? Do I have to dispose off the food items at Narita Airport Food Quarantine Bins ? I heard from a few friends that bringing food items to Japan like uncooked Indian rice, pulses etc is not allowed or could cause problems with the japanese immigration/customs/whatever office. But I will carry small amount of pickles/jam (about 400 gm), not for commercial purposes :)
by ankit1089  

Re: Bringing Indian Food Items to Japan 2012/10/17 10:57
Small amt of pickles, jam should be ok, unless they spoil your clothes inside the luggage :-)
Also there are plenty of indian shops selling everything but yeah mom`s cooked food is diffrent
by kb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing Indian Food Items to Japan 2012/10/17 13:22
As long as the food is cooked (including pickled ones), it should be OK.
Quarantine is basically for live animals and plants, seeds and bulbs, and soils.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing Indian Food Items to Japan 2012/10/17 16:08
I think the keyword here is "home made".

I have brought food into Japan from overseas on many occasions, but none of them have been home made. Generally, the customs/quarantine are okay with commercially made products so long as they don't contain prohibited ingredients. You may not be so lucky if they ask you to open your bag and find a jar without any labels on it.
by lola (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bringing Indian Food Items to Japan 2012/10/18 17:51
Thanks for the info !
by ankit1089 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread