Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Use Japanese cell phone in Canada? 2012/10/20 12:57
I just moved back to Canada and brought my Docomo cell phone with me (without the SIN card).

I heard you can unlock a Japanese cell-phone with companies like Rogers or something? I'm not entirely sure.

Can someone please help? I don't remember my phones model but it's a generic rectangular pink Docomo cell-phone with i-Mode and such.

Please help! Any information you have on cell phone use outside of Japan is appreciated! Thank you.
by uncertainminji  

Re: Use Japanese cell phone in Canada? 2012/10/21 00:13
Why not just go into a Rogers or Bell or Telus store and ask them? Or call them and ask? They're the only ones that are going to be able to definitively answer your question on whether your phone will work on their network.
by snooch (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Use Japanese cell phone in Canada? 2012/10/21 16:26
I don't have access to any working phones at the moment... I could go downtown to find a payphone but... so I came on here to find some insider advice from someone who may have experienced the same thing.

Thank you for your reply.
by uncertainminji rate this post as useful

Re: Use Japanese cell phone in Canada? 2012/10/21 17:33
It depends a lot on the specific phone model and when you purchased your phone. Generally speaking, if your phone was purchased before April 2011 it will be difficult or impossible to unlock it. If it was purchased after April 2011 you can get it factory unlocked at a docomo store. It costs 3150 yen and must be done in person in Japan.

Be aware that not all services will work properly on Canadian networks even though the phone is unlocked. See here for more info:

http://www.japanmobiletech.com/2011/03/japanese-mobile-phone-sim-unloc...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Use Japanese cell phone in Canada? 2012/10/22 01:27
Ok, not to point out the obvious, but you are posting on an internet forum.

Skype? Email? Browse to their website and use their "Contact Us" form? Browse to their website and use their "Chat with Us" service?

You're going to have to contact them at some point to use your phone on their service.

Re: Use Japanese cell phone in Canada? 2012/10/23 11:37
Thank you for your reply! The website is very helpful, thank you!

To Snooch.
I just moved to Canada, and I am low on money. Yes, I realize I am going to have to contact them at some point, please don't assume I haven't a clue. I was merely looking for some inside advice on it, seeing as how these phone companies can be a little difficult to deal with (especially the main Canadian based phone companies I've dealt with in the past...) Regardless, I wanted inside advice and got some good information from yllwsmrf.
by uncertainminji rate this post as useful

Re: Use Japanese cell phone in Canada? 2012/10/23 22:33
uncertainminji,

I assumed nothing. I was simply trying to point you to the people that are going to give you the definitive answer on your question.

reply to this thread