Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

studying Japanese and Chinese 2012/10/20 22:25
I have the chance to major in both sinology and japanology in uni. Does anyone here happen to have any experience with studying Japanese and Chinese simultaneously?
by Noah (guest)  

Re: studying Japanese and Chinese 2012/10/21 10:23
If you have experience with one of them then it should be fine (I know some Chinese and studied Japanese & Chinese), but it seems like a pain in the ass if you don't know either.
by sdasdadcqweqwe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: studying Japanese and Chinese 2012/10/21 10:55
I have not studied Chinese (I am Japanese), but from what I've heard, the sentence structures are completely different (Chinese grammar is closer to that of English, in the sense of: subject - verb - object, for example). "Part" of the writing systems is similar ("Kanji" characters, though the writing order can be different; Japanese uses combination of three writing systems) but the readings for the originally common Kanji are different between the two languages. Pronunciation is completely different.

So if you have no experience with neither at all, it could be quite stressful, I imagine.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: studying Japanese and Chinese 2012/10/21 14:15
saw some people try at my university. most had parents that came to my country from china. so their children spoke a bit chinese, but usually had trouble writing it. some could manage to bachelor both, but you gotta mention they had nearly no social life. another guy had studied a arabian language before and was kinda gifted. the others failed.
unless you are prepared to spend 5 years on studying, i would not try it. besides it is a rather weak combination job-wise. there are lots of japanese/chinese that can speak both and have majored in another class in addition
by Rintaru83 rate this post as useful

Re: studying Japanese and Chinese 2012/10/21 14:50
It's very hard to study both of Japanese and Chinese at the same time.
Japanese and Chinese are radically different, as the above mentioned.
Only writing Kanji is partly common, but Japanese can't almost read the Simplified Chinese (简化字) that used in China.
Don't think that's "East-asian language" in a word.

But I can say that after you learned Chinese, then maybe you study Japanese a bit easily.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

... 2012/10/21 15:21
What do you plan to do with your degree?
What degree are you studying?
Where do you live now?
Where do you want to live in the future?
Do you have any career goals?

If your goal is to live in Japan then I'd just learn Japanese.
If your goal is to live in China then I'd just learn Chinese.

If you wish to live in your own country then determine which language is more likely to be required by businesses in your country by the time you graduate (and beyond). In general this will probably be Chinese.

I'd be more inclined to make your second major something like Business/ Commerce/ IT/ whatever rather than just another language.

Good luck!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread