Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where can I buy blackberries in Tokyo? 2012/10/23 11:08
Anyone know where I can buy blackberries in Tokyo? I really want to make a blackberry and apple crumble for a party. I believe they should still be in season around this time.
Do they even grow in Japan? Seems like the climate would be fine for them but I do not remember seeing any. Any help much appreciated.
by tokyoguy (guest)  

Re: Where can I buy blackberries in Tokyo? 2012/10/23 16:24
If you can get to a Costco, I've definitely seen blackberries there. There is a Costco in Iruma; don't know if it is the closest or how easy it is to get to, and of course you have to get a membership, but it is a great source for large sizes and American style food!

Sorry I can't be more helpful; that is the only place I've ever seen them!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy blackberries in Tokyo? 2012/10/23 19:21
I think you might try Seijo Ishii ¬éΈä or Kinokuniya supermarket (not bookstore) ‹IˆÉ‘‰®. You should also look at department stores like Takashimaya, Mitsukoshi, and Isetan for such rare fruits.
by blackberryyumyum (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy blackberries in Tokyo? 2012/10/24 10:52
On a lighter note, You can try to visit Yodobashi or bic camera you can find blackberry and all types of apples in there.
by Joker (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/10/24 10:58
On a lighter note, You can try to visit Yodobashi or bic camera you can find blackberry and all types of apples in there.

I'm sure you've seen this, but just in case you haven't...

The One Ronnie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAG39jKi0lI
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy blackberries in Tokyo? 2012/10/24 11:04
Back to more serious matters... (grin)
Costco has (had) frozen blackberries, but as is often the case with Costco, you can never guarantee that something will still be on sale the next time you go there.
Seijo Ishii (and presumably other imported food stores) has canned (i.e. syrupy) blackberries.
You can certainly grow blackberries in Japan (been there, done that), but for some reason they are not popular or widely available in the shops.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy blackberries in Tokyo? 2012/10/24 16:12
Thanks everyone.
I will check seijo and the fancy department stores, I am a member of Costco but it is a bit of a hassle to get there.
Who doesn`t like blackberries?! Madness
by tokyoguy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy blackberries in Tokyo? 2012/10/25 01:48
It's not that the Japanese don't like backberries but that as you surmised they are not native. Its like me trying to find nashi or yuzu where I live
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy blackberries in Tokyo? 2012/10/25 08:43
Your best bet is department stores.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy blackberries in Tokyo? 2012/10/27 16:49
There are some companies who distribute frozen berries (incl. blackberries) such as Tropical Maria brand who import them. You would have to look in your local supermarket or buy online from local growers
http://www.miyashikaen.com/kiitigo/kiitigonomi.html
http://www.frappe-market.com/topping/0704.html
National Azabu supermarket has some frozen berries- you could try a mixed berry crumble
http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/national/20ce54ceea5.html
by linda (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Where can I buy blackberries in Tokyo? 2012/10/29 13:17
thanks linda I will try that next time as all the department stores looked at me like I was mad. "don't you mean blueberries?" even the very posh ones with all kinds of unusual tropical fruits from all over the world did not have a clue what I was talking about. Anyway frozen seems like a great idea I will try that.
by tokyoguy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread