Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation of a Japanese name please 2012/10/25 18:40
What does the name Tessai mean?
by Mo (guest)  

Re: Translation of a Japanese name please 2012/10/25 20:38
How do you spell the name in Kanji?
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of a Japanese name please 2012/10/25 20:56
I don't know the kanji for Tessai, when I looked it up on the Internet a few months ago it said Tessai means genius in Japanese but now I cannot find the meaning of Tessai anymore! Can you help?
by Mo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of a Japanese name please 2012/10/25 21:18
The difficulty here is that the sound of the name by itself does not carry any meaning. Japanese names, written in kanji, can carry meanings because of the kanji combinations used to write them.
Just by looking up online, there are at least several kanji combinations for that name. (The name "Tessai" is not too common by the way.)
Are you sure the name and "genius" didn't appear together in an article that was talking about a great genius of an artist with that first name?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of a Japanese name please 2012/10/25 23:01
As AK mentioned, Tessai is not a common name - what comes to my mind is Tomioka Tessai (富岡 鉄斎).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomioka_Tessai

As for 'genius', any possibility of mixing up Tessai with Tensai (天才) which means genius?
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread