Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Culture Day 2012/10/27 13:08
Is Culture Day ALWAYS Nov 3, irrespective of day of week?
Many thanks!
by fmj  

Re: Culture Day 2012/10/27 18:04
The date on Showa 21th (1946), the Constitution of Japan was amended.
To tell the truth, the day is also the Emperor Meiji's Birthday.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Culture Day 2012/10/27 18:17
Many thanks; but is it always on Nov 3, or the nearest weekend etc??
Thank you!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Culture Day 2012/10/27 18:35
Yes, some holidays are flexible by "Happy Monday Law".
They are Marine Day, Respect-for-the-Aged Day, Sports Day and Coming-of-Age Day.
I'm unsure, I miss something?(^_^;

But other anniversaries are fixed like the Emperor's Birthday, Spring/Autumn equinox Day, New-Year's Day, Labor-Thanksgiving Day and so on.
(Labor-Thanksgiving Day is shinto festival called "Niiname-sai".)
They are religious/Imperial anniversaries.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Culture Day 2012/10/27 18:48
Great, thank you!!

Re: Culture Day 2013/8/27 13:05
I wish to update this information, as I am now more than a little confused.
On http://www.japan-guide.com/event/
Culture Day is listed as Sunday Nov3, and "observed" on Monday Nov 4
Could I please be advised as to what will be closed on Sunday Nov3, Monday Nov4 and Tuesday Nov5 (day after Public Holiday), please? Thank you!
I am particularly concerned re ATM's at banks & post offices, tourist attractions, and restaurants
We will be travelling from family in Sendai to Tokyo on the afternoon of Sunday Nov 3. That will be with reserved seats with a JR Pass and I will reserve them well ahead of time.
We will be in Tokyo (Shinjuku) from the evening of Sunday Nov 3 until departing in the evening of Thursday Nov 7.
We are particularly keen to go to the the department stores around Shinjuku, as well as
1.Bunkyo Civic Center &Koishikawa Korakuen (both of which look to be open judging by the hours on this site)and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building: I gather one of the decks at least will be open all days we are there?
2. Imperial Palace east gardens: will be OPEN on Mon3, and CLOSED on Tuesday 4?
3.Kamakura: all major sites seem to be open all days: BUT what about restaurants on those 3 days?
and
4.MAYBE also Matsumoto for the Ukiyo-e Museum, which states "Mondays (or following day if Monday is a national holiday)": does that mean it is open Sunday 3rd, Monday 4th and closed Tuesday 5th?
Sorry to be so confused!
Many thanks!!

Re: Culture Day 2013/8/27 14:26
Culture Day is listed as Sunday Nov3, and "observed" on Monday Nov 4

Fixed date holidays that fall on Sundays are observed on Mondays (and are dubbed Happy Mondays :)

Could I please be advised as to what will be closed on Sunday Nov3, Monday Nov4 and Tuesday Nov5 (day after Public Holiday), please?

Its usually based off of the observed holiday, so places that are normally closed Monday will be open on Nov 4th and (typically) closed the following day (Tues, Nov 5th).

Restaurants and department stores generally do not observe most national holidays.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Culture Day 2013/8/27 16:19
Great: thanks yllwsmrf: think I have it sorted!!!

reply to this thread