Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Site suffixes, ie Dera, Ji, Jo, In 2012/10/29 13:48
Some of the websites I visit whilst researching my planned holiday have conflicting ways of spelling place names.

Some will say "Gioji", others will say "Gio-ji".
If I was writing about these places, say in a boring blog that no one will ever read, would it be safe and proper to *always* put the hyphen in?

Also, would "Gio-ji Temple" be a tautology? I assume 'ji' means temple.

Lastly, what does Dera mean? I've only seen one place that uses that as a prefix.

a big thanks!
by ausmomo  

Re: Site suffixes, ie Dera, Ji, Jo, In 2012/10/29 14:25
Some will say "Gioji", others will say "Gio-ji".
If I was writing about these places, say in a boring blog that no one will ever read, would it be safe and proper to *always* put the hyphen in?

Either way is ok. Sometimes adding a hyphen helps to read the name properly, but it isn't required.

Also, would "Gio-ji Temple" be a tautology? I assume 'ji' means temple.

Technically it would be redundant, but its common when writing in English about Japanese places, and some place names even sound wrong without it. For reference, this site tends to use the "Gioji Temple" format.

Lastly, what does Dera mean? I've only seen one place that uses that as a prefix.

Dera is a common suffix that also means temple. BTW, where did you see it used as a prefix?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Site suffixes, ie Dera, Ji, Jo, In 2012/10/29 14:32
Thanks.
And thanks for the two corrections :)

Redundant, yes!
Regarding 'dera', I meant suffix!

thanks again
by ausmomo rate this post as useful

Re: Site suffixes, ie Dera, Ji, Jo, In 2012/10/29 15:13
Even though writing "Gio-ji Temple" would be somewhat redundant, this style is widely used because: (1) the name you would "hear" in town in Japanese, for example, on buses, would be "Gioji" and thus having the full Japanese name "Gioji" is useful, and (2) it becomes easier at the same time for everyone to know that it is a temple, for example, if you are writing about it in your blog :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Site suffixes, ie Dera, Ji, Jo, In 2012/10/29 17:25
It's my personal things,
I just write such tautologic suffixes.
I think that is easy to understand from Japanese learner.
And because it's witten clearly in Japanese Kanji.
And also prefixes like Higashi, Nishi and so on.
Higashi-Hongan-ji temple is easy to read.
Higashihonganji or Tsukijihonganji is double Dutch? all Greek? just like English for me.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Site suffixes, ie Dera, Ji, Jo, In 2012/10/31 07:56
From what I know (proper) Japanese knows no hyphens or spaces. It's just for readability.

If you put Japanese into romaji, spaces are almost a requirement. For example:
"watashiwanihonjindesu"
Readable, but only just. Written in kanji,
"私は日本人です"
Much more readable, but it proncounces exactly the same :)

Kind of like adding spaces and/or hyphens to a phone number, but you know you don't actually dial spaces and hyphens on a phone ;)
by thany rate this post as useful

reply to this thread