Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

(Low sodium) instant miso soup? 2012/11/22 09:51
Hi,

is there any particular brand of a low sodium instant miso soup (that is widely available across Japan)?

Thanks!
by SEA monster  

Re: (Low sodium) instant miso soup? 2012/11/22 14:29
You can either use less (maybe 3/4) of the miso package or buy a low sodium miso(maybe shiro miso) and mix with other dried vege/tofu package.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: (Low sodium) instant miso soup? 2012/11/22 15:20
Thanks, amazinga.

I am afraid the dilution won't work. According to what I read about the sodium values (in instant miso soups), even if diluted to 3/4, one cup would still amount to 1/4 of a sodium daily value. That's crazy.

But that shiro miso idea sounds promising. I read that shiro miso is indeed much lower on sodium. Perhaps instant shiro miso soup would be a convenient solution? There should be some available in Japan, right? (... seen some sold on Amazon)

by SEA monster rate this post as useful

Re: (Low sodium) instant miso soup? 2012/11/24 10:27
If you are looking for those "instant" miso soup packs, look for one that says "gen-en" Œ¸‰– this means "reduces/lower salt." Several brands make this type - supermarket staff should be able to help you.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: (Low sodium) instant miso soup? 2012/11/24 10:27
A typo: I meant to say "reduced/lower salt."
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: (Low sodium) instant miso soup? 2012/11/24 11:23
Thank you, AK. That's helpful ... and in my notebook now.

:-)
by SEA monster rate this post as useful

reply to this thread