Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Two topics in a sentence 2012/12/4 14:19
白い箱はカウチの上に緑のランプは机の上にあります。

This seems wrong.... like a verb is missing from the first topic. I got this from a Japanese tutorial site. I'm assuming that I'm missing some grammatical rules. Could someone break this down for me?
by hajime gakusei  

Re: Two topics in a sentence 2012/12/4 16:04
That's very nomal Japanese.
But adding kutouten "、" is more better.
The duplicate verb "あり/ある" is omitted.
白い箱はカウチの上にあり、緑のランプは机の上にあります。
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Two topics in a sentence 2012/12/4 23:45

Grammatically 「ある」 here works as a predicative verb for both 「白い箱はカウチの上に」 and 「緑のランプは机の上に」.
However, a punctuation mark ( 読点 [touten]) is missing between the two parts.
cf. Another punctuation mark is called句点 [kuten] .
句読点 [kutouten] = 句点 [kuten] and 読点 [touten].

If a sentence has many topics, or if a part for a topic is long, it's better not to omit a predicative verb.

When a set of words which has one meaning is partly omitted, that can make the expression unkind and/or misleading.
In your example, a set of words 「__ の上に」 shows a location, so it's better not to omit 「の上に」 here, i.e. it's better to avoid an expression like 「白い箱はカウチ、緑のランプは机の上にあります。」.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Two topics in a sentence 2012/12/9 17:16
I'm no teacher myself but maybe my teacher's explanation would help. This is how we were thought this in my university:

The two 'wa' particles are comparison/contrast particles. So in your sentence, the meaning would be like "the white box is on the couch, (while) the green lamp is on the table."

I hope this helps some... again, I'm just a student myself, but this is how I was taught.
by bird (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread