Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shaving foam in Japan 2012/12/4 20:36
Hey,
I am in the peril of deciding if I should either buy an electric razor or bring razor blades from home when I go to Japan. In the last case I would probably need to buy shaving foam in Japan because the one I would bring will not last for the time being there. I dont even know if is possible to bring a shaving foam bottle in your lugguage (or handlugguage).

Where can I buy shaving foam in Japan, like supermarkets? I will only be staying in big cities so I guess it wont be a problem.

Are there any brands that has very little or no parfume in it? Since I am quite sensitive to strong smells.
by Sniffo (guest)  

Re: Shaving foam in Japan 2012/12/5 09:20
I dont even know if is possible to bring a shaving foam bottle in your lugguage (or handlugguage).

You can pack any size can in your checked luggage, you could put a small travel can in your hand luggage (2oz/56grams).

I would probably need to buy shaving foam in Japan because the one I would bring will not last for the time being there.

How long are you going for? When travelling I shave every day and the 56 gram travel size will last me around a month.

Where can I buy shaving foam in Japan, like supermarkets?

Supermarkets, convienence stores or drug stores; there should be no problem finding it.

Are there any brands that has very little or no parfume in it? Since I am quite sensitive to strong smells.

I have the same problem, I can just about get away with the smell of Gillette Foamy Regular, which is the brand most often found in the travel size. I usually use a lime shaving gel or foam. You can take a look and a lot of Japanese shaving foam brands here, along with a description in English:

http://en.kenko.com/shop/en-us/list/se/S2081/

Number 3 on the list (DHC) seems to be a possible choice: "Color free and subtle fragrance."
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shaving foam in Japan 2012/12/5 09:31
Also, you can get small non-branded cans of shaving foam at 100 Yen shops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtDQO6TCj6g
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shaving foam in Japan 2012/12/5 16:30
I also have a problem with strong-smelling shaving creams. My favorite one in Japan so far happens to be one of the cheaper brands, though it is sometimes hard to find. It is called 炭シェービングフォーム (Sumi Shaving Foam) and is produced by a company called KAI. It has a minimal odor when applied and leaves no residual fragrance.

You can see it here:
http://www.kai-group.com/jp/products/item/id/KBI00000211

There is actually a pretty wide selection of shaving foams, creams, and gels in Japan. You should be able to find one or two kinds easily in any supermarket and a wider selection in a drugstore (薬局, yakkyoku). You will probably even recognize a lot of the brands you see here, like Gillette and Shick.
by frostphoenix rate this post as useful

Re: Shaving foam in blades 2012/12/5 21:08
Look for the newer razors. Between its blades are strips that turns to foam when damp, leading to a pleasurable shave. Shaving foam is not necessary.

Similar to G Mach3 with 3 but the Japanese models have 4 to 5 broader strips.

Although affordable, the blades for these particular Japanese razors are only available in Japan stores so if you like the sensation of a close, clean shave; advisable to get blade supplies before you leave.
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Re: Shaving foam in Japan 2012/12/6 01:36
Thank you.
I am not sure what size the shaving foam I use now is, but it more than the size of that tube in the youtube video. I will be there for 5 weeks total. I will write down the brands so I have them when I will need to look for them.
by Sniffo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shaving foam in Japan 2012/12/7 14:09
Shaving jel is more populer and better here than foams.

http://www.kenko.com/product/seibun/sei_832082.html
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread