Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

tari tari -shimasu for hobbys? 2012/12/5 20:19
If I want to list a few hobbies, can I use the tari, tari - shimasu form? Or are hobbies specific enough that I can't list them using this form. I want to say my hobby is yoga, Japanese language and cooking. But I don't want it to sound like that's the end of my hobbies. Just those are the main ones that I'm sharing.

Thanks in advance.
by 3olives (guest)  

Re: tari tari --shimasu for hobbys? 2012/12/6 12:12
watashi no shumi wa,yoga wo shitari, nihongo no benkyo wo shitari,ryori wo shitari iroiro desu.
私の趣味は、ヨガをしたり、日本語の勉強をしたり、料理をしたり色々です。色々=etc.
Or
(私の)趣味で、ヨガをしたり、日本語の勉強をしたり、料理をしたり色々します。
by ay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: tari tari --shimasu for hobbys? 2012/12/7 00:53
Watashi no shumi wa nihongo, yoga, ryouri nado desu.
or, more frankly,
Watashi no shumi wa nihongo, yoga, ryouri nado nado.
nado : etc.; nado nado: and so on.

We use "iroiro(na)" "samazama(na)" to show a wide variety. However these words do not always sound good but sometimes can cause an impression that you cannot concentrate on / you do not enjoy deeply each of the things.
In order to avoid such a negative effect, I suppose, it's better to state first that you have a wide variety of hobbies then cite major ones.
(Introducing yourself)
Watashi wa shumi ga hiroku, nihongo wo narattari, yoga wo shitari, ryouri wo shitari shimasu.
(Writing about your hobbies)
Watashi no shumi wa hiroku, nihongo, yoga, ryouri nado desu.
The particle "wa" works as a topic marker. The difference of the two sentences is whether the topic is you or your hobbies.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: tari tari --shimasu for hobbys? 2012/12/7 02:51
Thanks so much. Unfortunately I didn't get the last post in time and did use the iro iro desu form. I had a feeling it wasn't quite right. however, I am writing as a language student to a Japanese national. I think he will forgive me a bit. I hope....
by 3olives (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread