Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to learn yen? 2012/12/6 01:36
What website or method did you use to learn how to use yen?
by Tht1BakaGaijin  

Re: How to learn yen? 2012/12/6 09:58
What website or method did you use to learn how to use yen?

Is this a serious question? Yen is just money, so you use it like any other money.

Or do you mean how to exchange yen? Or how to figure out the conversion?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How to learn yen? 2012/12/6 16:35
It was tough learning.
The first hurdle was to get the proper hand movement to pull bills out of my wallet (I practiced with 1000yen bills first, as I didn't feel confident enough to start right off the bat with 10k ones).
Took me roughly 2 weeks to clear this step, and let me tell you I was not taking practice lightly !

The "handing the bill over the counter" was pretty easy after this, maybe 2-3 days. I practiced watching videos on niconico to perfect it, and it was quite helpful.

Finally, the most difficult part, which I still haven't mastered, is claiming back my change. I heard there are a few gaijin that managed to do this (saw a documentary on NHK World once), but I don't think that's someting you should feel too concerned about, as people wouldn't be shocked even if you're making mistakes in handling the coins.

Anyway, good luck, it's a tough battle, but the feeling you get when you get your first gyuudon served is worth the sweat and tears.
by FrenchDude rate this post as useful

Re: How to learn yen? 2012/12/6 18:33
@ FrenchDude

I salute you, Sir.
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2012/12/6 23:31
Awesome!
by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: How to learn yen? 2012/12/6 23:40
French dudes insight was helpful but he missed a critical element in the process, namely how do you separate yen from real money in your wallet. I purchased a wallet with compartments that keeps this easier, not that it can't be learned, a ten thousand dollar bill and a ten thousand yen bill can be confused if your not paying attention. So the key is concentration.
With training you can get over the hurdle that yen can actually buy real stuff..amazing !
by john (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to learn yen? 2012/12/7 00:01
Maybe the OP typed "yen" when he meant to type "chopsticks".
by Justin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread