Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

About foreign food in Japan... 2012/12/7 01:44
I've heard and seen Japanese pan (bread) in scone shape but do they have regular loafs that do not cost a small fortune?

What can I substitute for milk since it's so expensive there?

What are the typical meat (like beef, pork, chicken and lamb) cost?

I looked over the Japan-guide food list but they didn't give me much detail. Thanks.

by StarGirl96  

Re: About foreign food in Japan... 2012/12/7 09:53
I've heard and seen Japanese pan (bread) in scone shape but do they have regular loafs that do not cost a small fortune?
What can I substitute for milk since it's so expensive there?

What are the typical meat (like beef, pork, chicken and lamb) cost?

The typical loaf of bread in Japan is 350-400 grams. This comes in anywhere from 4 to 8 slices (the 8 slice loaf sized are thin sandwich width").
This bread can be purchased for anywhere from 100 yen and up.

Milk = expensive is relative to how much you pay in your home country. Skim milk can be purchased for 100 yen/liter. Whole milk (3.6% and up) can be 150 yen on sale in super markets.
Soy milk actually costs more than cow milk. The same goes for other "milks" like almond milk, coconut milk, etc.

Meat prices vary greatly depending on where you buy it, the type of cut, and the country of origin.
In terms of typical LOWEST (not average) prices:
Chicken breast (boneless): 39 yen/100 grams
Pork roast or shoulder: 100 yen/100 grams
Ground beef: 120 yen/100 grams
Lamb: 200 yen/100 grams

In Tokyo, stores like Hanamasa, in Kansai stores like Gyomu Super, and nationwide large supermarkets like Seiyu, Aeon, and Costco (membership required for Costco) allow you to buy safe, fresh products at very reasonable prices.
by ChainJP rate this post as useful

Re: About foreign food in Japan... 2012/12/9 13:11
We pay more for our food in Canada than the Japanese prices quoted above.
Food in the US is amazingly cheap, compared to many other countries.
Could it be why some Americans are large?
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: About foreign food in Japan... 2012/12/11 10:21

A 5 round loaf costs 700+ in Pelican, one of the best traditional floured loaves in Tokyo- firm, wholesome, simply delicious with a good bite. Many natives line up for door opening (exactly at 8). The smiling servers recognize each customer's face and money/bread exchanges are quick and efficient-without a word- a neat silent orchestra performance every morning (except Sundays and PH).
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

reply to this thread