Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

ordering a rice filled heat bag 2012/12/10 13:15
Hi,
I have found a gorgeous heat bag set on etsy. My only concern is that it is filled with rice (ie like a wheat bag, but with a different grain).
Do you think this would be a problem with customs/quarantine? If so, how would I go about declaring it so it was ok? I would be ordering it and getting it posted to me, so it is not like I can just declare it at customs.
thanks!
by sweeny (guest)  

Re: ordering a rice filled heat bag 2012/12/11 10:27
It might be confiscated at customs- due to weevils in rice. Is it fumigated?

Japanese customs at Post Offices and ports are protective against micro and macro pests to its agricultural industry.
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Re: ordering a rice filled heat bag 2012/12/11 14:49
yeah.. that is pretty much what I thought.
I will contact her to ask her, but I don't think it is fumuigated.

thanks for the reply!
by sweeny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: ordering a rice filled heat bag 2012/12/11 17:43
If it is from US or Europe where rice is stored in massive warehouses for months (instead of harvest to supermarket to pantries), it is fumigated.

However, without a certificate on the process, it might be a moot point at customs- and probability is high it will be confiscated.

Certification control in Japan on agricultural or marine produce/products is one of the highest level I have seen.
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

reply to this thread