Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Pub/Club wear for females this December 2012/12/11 20:22
I am travelling to Japan this Monday (December 17, 2012) until the 4th of January 2013. First Stop is Kyoto (1 day), then Osaka (1 day), then Hiroshima (2 days), the Hakuba (8 days), then finally Tokyo (4 days) for new years. I was just wondering what to pack and what is suitable to wear to the pubs/clubs in Tokyo (for a female). Also, is there much else to do in Hakuba other than use the 7 day lift pass we bought for snowboarding? We will be there for christmas day. Also, what else should I pack for all of the other locations so that I am warm and comfortable.

THANKS!!! P.s. I'm from Australia, so used to very warm weather.. :)
by Kandy93  

Re: Pub/Club wear for females this December 2012/12/13 10:51
Pub/club wear depends on the place, so ranging anywhere from casual jeans being okay to dressing up really nice in a dress or skirt. In general, I think if you go for more dressy you will be fine.

Hakuba has a lot of winter activities besides skiing and snowboarding, like snowshoing or cross-country skiing among other things. This site has a lot of different options:

http://hakubatourism.jp/thingstodo/

Also, you are close enough to Nagano City and Matsumoto Castle for day/half-day/evening trips as well.

Finally, if you are used to the heat, the cold will be a shock! Layer, layer, layer! You can always take off a layer or two if you get hot, but if you don't bring enough clothes you may become miserable in the cold! Definitely for this time skiing and snowboarding, you are going to want long underwear in silk or cotton, wool socks (I double up!), tights or leggings for under jeans, etc. If you find you didn't bring enough, look for a Uniqlo in Nagano City. They have a lot of good quality, warm under-things like turtle necks, socks, leggings etc. as well as sweaters for a decent price. So try to bring enough, but if you still feel cold, you will be able to get cold weather stuff here. Also, often the ski rental places also have skiwear available if you don't want to bring your own.

Have fun!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Pub/Club wear for females this December 2012/12/29 14:40
My rule of thumb when it comes to Japanese clubs is to wear a dress, or at least a skirt. I've had friends who weren't allowed into clubs because they were wearing pants or jeans that weren't "fancy" enough. But they'll usually let you in if you're wearing a dress or skirt. Just don't wear too much! I made that mistake once...the night was cold so I wore my leather jacket over a long-sleeved top and I was sweating by the time I got into the club! :O

- - - -

As for what to wear in Winter, the above commenter is 100% correct...layer, layer, layer! Bring long sleeved tops,

I went to Japan two years ago in December, and most days I found myself wearing stockings under my pants, and a long-sleeved shirt under a sweater under my winter coat!
I even went out and bought a wool beanie, a scarf and some gloves because I hadn't anticipated how cold it would be.

So yes, don't expect the winter to be only a little cold. Bring lots of long-sleeved shirts, warm pants, boots that can withstand the cold (and the rain/snow if that ends up happening), thick coats, and wool sweaters to keep out the cold. Scarves, warm socks and gloves are also a must :)
by Nicki (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread