Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Free wifi? 2012/12/11 22:42
I was hoping someone could update me on the current situation on wifi (preferably free wifi) availability in Japan? Is it available? If so, where from? And how do you access it?
by clairelouise (guest)  

Re: Free wifi? 2012/12/12 08:44
Free wifi is not very prevalent in Japan. When it states "free", more often than not it means "open" wifi and you have to register for it. This means knowing Japanese well enough to navigate the Japanese-only website and probably needing to fill out domestic address/telephone information which most tourists won't have.
by John B digs Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Free wifi? 2012/12/12 10:39
I was hoping someone could update me on the current situation on wifi (preferably free wifi) availability in Japan?

Public wifi is widely available. Free public wifi is few and far between. While not quite as ubiquitous as in other countries, Starbucks are are relatively common and offer free wifi (preregistration required).

http://starbucks.wi2.co.jp/pc/index_en.html

Is it available? If so, where from? And how do you access it?

Alternatively, you can access Tokyo's major public wifi networks via skype wifi. It allows you to pay for by the minute access in your home currency.

Free wifi is not very prevalent in Japan. When it states "free", more often than not it means "open" wifi and you have to register for it. This means knowing Japanese well enough to navigate the Japanese-only website and probably needing to fill out domestic address/telephone information which most tourists won't have.

The biggest hurdle is that virtually all public networks charge a 500 yen fee for a daypass, but most only accept Japanese credit cards.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Free wifi? 2012/12/12 13:04
by SEA monster rate this post as useful

Re: Free wifi? 2012/12/12 13:06

Re: Free wifi? 2012/12/12 13:52
Freespot are a also available, although a little less user friendly than starbucks wifi and not all of their listed spots actually offer free internet. Again registration is necessary (and requires a paid email account), but you can do it on the spot. The hardest part about using freespot is finding a place that offers the service. You should plan ahead in order to utilize it fully.

Re: Free wifi? 2012/12/12 14:56
I think for my purpose and length of stay (almost 3 months) it makes sense to fork out 4,000 yen for the BB Mobile Point service. McDonald has managed to infest just about every corner of Japan, their locations are easily identifiable (http://bbmobile.bb.yahoo.co.jp/), they have favorable opening hours, in many cases they allow notebook recharging (to which I can hook other instruments, which I might need to recharge), they allow you to sit in for hours, and their coffee is so much more cheaper than the one in Starbucks. I wouldn't touch anything else from their menu, though.

Re: Free wifi? 2012/12/25 00:53
Here is a little tip I picked up while traveling. When in big cities, always check out the five star hotels aka the 300+ a night ones such as hyatt, westin, hilton etc... they more than usually always have free wifi with no registrations. Otherwise apple store usually offers it.
by loopy2311 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Free wifi? 2012/12/25 01:46
I think it's better to forget about free wi-fi. If you are lucky, you might get it at certain very limited places. It's not practical and not reliable.

Bring a laptop. High speed and reliable (safe) internet would be available wired by LAN cable.

Otherwise, contract for BB Mobile or rent a pocket Wi-Fi device at the airport.

by Best things in life are not free (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Free wifi? 2012/12/25 07:32
I've pretty much only ever used wifi at our accommodation, which doesn't cost anything additional to the room fee. If you're lucky, you'll stay somewhere similar. I'd rent pocket wifi if I needed to have regular access.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Free wifi? 2012/12/26 15:44
7-11 convenience stores also offer free wifi at most of their locations. The services shows up as 7spot and requires registration. English instructions are available when you register.

Re: Free wifi? 2013/1/3 03:04
Since so many of you mentioned renting a wifi device, where can I get one? And do you have a notion as to fares?
by CecilSoares rate this post as useful

Re: Free wifi? 2013/1/3 05:51
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread