Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying Keitai Denwa 2012/12/12 13:12
I'm interested to buy Docomo mobile phone.

1. Is it possible to buy just the phone without signing up any plan? Where can I buy?

2. Can I unlock the sim so that I can use any type of phone carrier? I heard that I just need to go to Docomo shop and pay the unlocking fees, right?

Thank you.

by yuki79  

Re: Buying Keitai Denwa 2012/12/12 14:27
1. Is it possible to buy just the phone without signing up any plan? Where can I buy?

Yes, you can purchase just the handset. You'll probably find better prices and pre-unlocked handsets in the electronic districts such as Akihabara than in the Docomo stores.

2. Can I unlock the sim so that I can use any type of phone carrier? I heard that I just need to go to Docomo shop and pay the unlocking fees, right?

Yes, but only if the model supports unlocking. In that case it costs 3150 yen and must be done in person at a Docomo store. You'll need to show ID.

http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/support/procedure/simcard/unlock_dc...

Also note that some of the features of the handset may not work when used off of the Docomo network.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buying Keitai Denwa 2012/12/12 15:20
Thank you for your valuable answer, yllwsmrf.

1. My Japanese friend is AU user. Can he do the unlocking on my behalf? I don't stay in Japan and don't have any documentation for verification.

Ok, will start to research in Akihabara.

Thanks.
by yuki79 rate this post as useful

Re: Buying Keitai Denwa 2012/12/12 16:25
1. My Japanese friend is AU user. Can he do the unlocking on my behalf?

It would be easiest if he purchased it and then have it unlocked, rather than you purchasing it and then having him try to unlock it.

I don't stay in Japan and don't have any documentation for verification.

A passport would suffice. Or do you mean to have your friend get it and then send it to you in Malaysia? Note that Japan Post has strict restrictions on shipping the lithium batteries that are in the phones, so it may not be possible to send it to you.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread