Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Options for 1 Year Prepaid Sim 2012/12/14 17:51
I'm going to be staying in Japan for a year with a Working Holiday Visa, and I will need a prepay sim so I can give a telephone number when applying for jobs. I already have an unlocked 3G handset that's compatible with the 2100Mhz frequency, so I just need a sim. As far as I'm aware the only prepay plans that are available on sim only, and don't require a handset from the network provider, are a voice/email only Softbank sim, and a data only B-Mobile sim. Are there any other MVNOs that have prepaid plans that work with W-CDMA devices?

From looking at B-Mobiles plans, the Talking Fair tariff that offers voice and data would be appropriate for me, but it requires residency. From what I've been told, WHV holders aren't considered residents, as it's a temporary, non-renewable visa, so I probably wouldn't qualify for that. The next best option would be getting a data only sim and using Skype for calling, but I would prefer voice and data if possible.
by Umechan (guest)  

Re: Options for 1 Year Prepaid Sim 2012/12/17 11:08
As far as I'm aware the only prepay plans that are available on sim only, and don't require a handset from the network provider, are a voice/email only Softbank sim, and a data only B-Mobile sim.

That is basically the situation.

From looking at B-Mobiles plans, the Talking Fair tariff that offers voice and data would be appropriate for me, but it requires residency. From what I've been told, WHV holders aren't considered residents, as it's a temporary, non-renewable visa, so I probably wouldn't qualify for that.

I believe the restriction is on people holding a status of "Temporary Visitor" i.e. tourists. WHV holders may have trouble getting traditional contracts (because their stay is less than the 2 year contract term), but I'm not sure they are also barred from getting month to month contracts. Where are you seeing that WHV holders aren't considered residents for the purpose of cell phones?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Options for 1 Year Prepaid Sim 2012/12/18 05:23
Thanks for clarifying that. I can't remember exactly where it was, but 1 of the articles I read stated that WHV holders aren't considered residents. I wasn't sure how accurate it was, but I wanted to look at other options in case that was an issue. I may consider the Talking U300 or Talking Fair sim then.
by Umechan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread