Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

mo- + ttara 2012/12/15 05:37
Hi! I have a problem with this expression

"もー (name of theperson)ったら"

What does it mean?

Thanks.
by Malala16  

Re: mo- + ttara 2012/12/15 11:05
This is for friendly terms also family talk.
Mostly Woman using.

もう(not もー):Wow,Oh,Come on,What
interjection used to strengthen expression of an emotion

person name not for human only. (mostly pets as family)

-たら : emphasized after adjective phrase (as abbreviation)
adjective phrase using for both positive(after Joke with chuckle/simper) and negative(not serious. often in exasperation ex:Mam to son)

similar phrase : もう + name + -てば (-tteba)
by Yuno (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: mo- + ttara 2012/12/15 12:12
"もー (name of the person)ったら"
- don't do it!
- what are you doing?

As Yuno explained.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: mo- + ttara 2012/12/15 12:40
I see... thanks! :)
by Malala16 rate this post as useful

Re: mo- + ttara 2012/12/15 17:58
Rather than "don't do it," I would say it's something that a mom might say after her child has done something outrageous/funny. So it's like "ahhh, XXX, (what have you done)!" kind of comment.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: mo- + ttara 2012/12/16 11:54
Personally, I have never heard of
もー・・・たら!nor used it by myself.

Probably this is because I am a male from western Japan. I think もー・・・たら!is not formal, and used only by young female (or, at least by those who thinks herself young) around Kanto area. Further, I wonder whether this is used in the real world (I think it might be too kawaii when used in real life). Maybe it is only used in Anime, Manga or TV drama? Therefore I would like to ask Japanese member here, have you ever used or heard this phrase?

In the real life of Kansai area, I would say, well, なにしてんねん!, which means "what are you doing!". If I am a female, なにしてんのー. These are not so kawaii phrases, I guess :-).
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: mo- + ttara 2012/12/16 12:16
frog1954,

I admit its usage is limited to women, but I'd say it has a bit of condescending tone and coquettish at the same time, so I'd say not really young women but "mom" type lol.

Well, I'm a Japanese woman, not a mom, and I'd say I've never used it in my life so far :)

Re: mo- + ttara 2012/12/16 12:17
...or maybe, if a young girl puffs up her cheeks and says this at her boyfriend full blast, that means she is really angry at him! :)

Re: mo- + ttara 2012/12/16 13:20
Thank you AK for your response.

it has a bit of condescending tone and coquettish

Yes, I have the same sense. I sometimes notice condescending (oh, difficult word, I have never used it since now) tone from some females around, but never sense coquettish one ;).

I'd say I've never used it in my life so far :)

I see. Then at present 100% Japanese do not use this phrase :-).

that means she is really angry at him! :)

Then I might be lucky not to have experienced this.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: mo- + ttara 2012/12/17 16:33
yeah, actually it's from a manga, heh.
It doesn't surprise me that it's not a common expresion... fiction tends to exaggerate after all, it's common here too.

If it's not too much to ask, can you help me with the meaning of 'omae nanka?' I mean, the problem is that the sentence is not finished, so I don't get what exactly it means alone.
Everything would be
"おれへのあてつけにしたって...
も〜おめーなんか..."

and I guess the first part is something like "you're doing this just to annoy me..." maybe?

Re: mo- + ttara 2012/12/17 17:08
I'm surprised!
I tought that's used by girls/ladies...
Both of もー and ったら are often used, but surely I had not heard someone said so...?!

Roughly before experts' explanation,
"お前なんか" means "(worthless person) like you" to look down on you.
In ordinary case, it's omitted sentence for "I can't care about (worthless person) like you any further" or something.

I think "なんか" is colloquial expression for "何か"(something).
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: mo- + ttara 2012/12/19 13:39
Again, thank you! ^^

reply to this thread