Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

dark sake? 2012/12/17 10:01
A couple of months ago my friend was given a bottle of dark sake - and it was delicious! Sweet, and smooth, kind of like a tawny port.

Anyway, I took a photo of what I thought was the label, but when I took it to a bottle shop they said there was not enough information for them to help me get something similar.

please help! What should I be asking for, to get something like the dark sake I tried?
by thesweeny  

Re: dark sake? 2012/12/17 10:14
still have that picture?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: dark sake? 2012/12/17 10:22
sounds like koshu, which is aged sake.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: dark sake? 2012/12/18 00:07
How dark is it? Is it something like this??

http://eemise.com/page072.html

Yet, it is not dark enough though if you mean the sake you had was dark...
by Jay Kay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: dark sake? 2012/12/18 09:47
Thanks all -

yllwsrf - I do! I will try to upload and link when I get home.

Unami Dearest - thank! I will give that a go.

Jay Kay - yeah, it was darker than that. A.. damn, I can't think of a good comparison. The colour was redder?browner? and less yellow. I wish I had a decent photo
by thesweeny rate this post as useful

Re: dark sake? 2012/12/18 10:03
Gooday. Are you sure it was sake? I got a fruit liqueur (sp?) in japan a few weeks back which was quite dark and looked and tasted very much like port, it was very sweet. I thought that it was a plum wine (which I am very fond of) but the fellow at the liquor store said it wasnt, he thought it was better. I actually prefer the plum wine.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: dark sake? 2012/12/18 10:21
HI Lazy Pious!

I actually (generally) prefer plum wine too! I could be mistaken - my friend was given the bottle, and the people who gifted it to her said that it was dark sake. And all the plum wines I have had up until this point have been rather pale in colour.

I guess I will just have to try many drinks *grins*

Re: dark sake? 2013/1/8 21:18
Good chance it was kokuto umeshu, umeshu made with brown sugar. It is made by Choya. It is very dark in color and sweet.
by YukariSakamoto (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: dark sake? 2013/1/9 04:57
I just googled the image for kokuto umeshu - that is definitely the one that I was talking about. My preference though is plum wine. We were getting "plum sours" at a ryokan at Gora, I got quite addicted to them but dont know what else was in them aside from the plum wine.

Re: dark sake? 2013/1/9 09:00
ah!! yes that is what I tried!
it was delicious, and now I know how to track it down.

thankyou so much everyone! I much prefer plum wine to sake (thus I was kind of surprised by how much I liked the "dark sake")

Re: dark sake? 2013/1/9 09:59
While you are experimenting, see if you can get your hands on some Makgeoli which is a korean rice wine and much more appealing to me than sake. I became fond of it in a recent trip to Korea but unfortunately I cant find it in Oz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Makgeolli

reply to this thread