Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best way to start learning to speak Japanese 2012/12/19 22:03
Hi!

I speak english obviously. I'd like to learn to speak Japanese. I'm not asking for the easiest option as I know it's very time-consuming and can be difficult, but I'm asking for some tips to get me started. Should I download an audio cd? Buy a book? etc.

Thanks.
by Lewis96  

Re: Best way to start learning to speak Japanese 2012/12/20 16:17
Hello!

How about online resource like youtube?
http://www.youtube.com/user/HIROKOCHANNEL/videos?view=1

BTW, I can't speak English,
to speak is necessary to do something interactive, I think.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to start learning to speak Japanese 2012/12/21 02:43
Classes are by far the best way. See if there is anywhere near you that offers evening classes. If not then there are several good book and audio options. Japanese for Busy People is widely used.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to start learning to speak Japanese 2012/12/21 07:23
I would also recommend classes or a course to begin with. I use the Japanese For Busy People books mentioned above, and have done for a few years. They're really very good for the way they introduce the language gradually.
It takes a little while to learn the simple kana characters and the basic grammar, which is covered in the first book, but it's not too long to be dispiriting :)
There's still a long way to go once you've finished the first book ( there are three in the series ) but after finishing that one I had enough skills to be able to see a tutor and have basic conversations.
I'm just finishing the second book now, and have learnt enough to do regular language exchanges and have a lot of fun talking to people in Japan!

I've also heard good things about the Genki series of books.
by GMatt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to start learning to speak Japanese 2012/12/22 18:35
Thankyou very much for your replies. I will definitely buy a book/cd combo and if I see 'Japanese for Busy People' that will be the one i'll pickup!
by Lewis96 rate this post as useful

Re: Best way to start learning to speak Japanese 2012/12/23 02:37
I have Genki as well and it is very good, as you would expect from something produced by NHK. However I havent seen it anywhere near as often as JFBP and it seems to be much more expensive. Both are available from Amazon.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

reply to this thread