Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Live Sashimi / fugu / frog / octopus 2012/12/28 14:28
Hi,

I am going to travel to Tokyo early next year. And I'm keen in watching/catching/eating live sashimi.

I think I can watch live at Tsukuji market right ? what time should I arrive ?

Anyway, I would like to eat these so please recommend me some affordable restaurant. Only Tokyo area.

Budget 5000 yen

Thank you :)
by Yukari Koichi  

Re: Live Sashimi / fugu / frog / octopus 2012/12/29 02:17
I know Ika-center serve reasonable fresh cuttlefish/squid with ten tentacles not octopus.
A squid sashimi whole called sugata-zukuri (Žp‘’‚θ).
http://r.gnavi.co.jp/a640602/

FUGU is very expensive.
But Genpin-fugu serve reasonable sashimi of stored/freezed fugu, it's not so bad.
http://www.tettiri.com/html/menu_china.html

FROG is not Japanese food.
I think maybe that taste like chiken?
Oh, Asadachi in Shinjuku serve it...
It's adventurous/odd food.
BTW, Asadachi means "morning wood/erection".
http://www.shinjuku-omoide.com/asadachi/
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Live Sashimi / fugu / frog / octopus 2012/12/29 02:35
Gulp... frog sashimi!

Oh why not.. I'd give it a go!

For what you call 'live sashimi', I guess you mean 'odorizakana'.. where the fish 'dances' on your plate due to the fact that it's having slices cut off it while still alive?

Or you could try 'shirauo', tiny little fish that are still alive and are gulped down in a glass of water (or sake), and then go wriggling down your gullet...

bon appetit!
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Live Sashimi / fugu / frog / octopus 2012/12/29 14:23
so you think you are brave for frog shashimi? yikes!

the place is Asadachi (1-2-14 Nishi-Shinjuku) which is renowned for it's testicle skewers. however, the more research i did on the place... there's a video on youtube "frog shashimi" i changed my mind. i was afraid that in a six seat place, if somebody ordered frog shashimi while i was doing the skewers, i'd do more than lose my appetite.

Tokyo is full of Harumon places.. All quite tasty.
by dz0 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Live Sashimi / fugu / frog / octopus 2013/1/2 09:47
In Singapore, we do eat frogs.

Actually I did not dare to eat it raw, but my bf would like to give it a try :P
by Yukari Koichi rate this post as useful

Re: Live Sashimi / fugu / frog / octopus 2013/1/2 11:53
I want to eat frogs/snakes broiled, but raw...?(x_x;

As Saru Bob said, it's maybe called "odori(—x‚θ; dance)" or "IkeZukuri(Šˆ‚―μ‚θ; arrange keeping alive)".
In Ika-center, I ate fresh squid with clinged suction cups.
Anyways, you may want to visit restaurants that have ikesu(ΆβΕ; fish preserve) for fresh fishes.

BTW, in Japanese foods, Tsukudani(’ΟŽΟ; boiled in soy) of Inago(ε›;grasshopper) is well-known as a bizarre food.
It's very salty...
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Live Sashimi / fugu / frog / octopus 2014/2/11 10:18
I had Genpin fugu at Asakusa last year. And it is not at all expensive. For that price, it is consider reasonable. The service and the food was awesome.

And I can never get it in Singapore.
by Yukari Koichi rate this post as useful

Re: Live Sashimi / fugu / frog / octopus 2014/2/12 12:05
generally, we believe that sea fish is safe in raw,when fresh. fish and animal in wild river is not safe in parasites.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Live Sashimi / fugu / frog / octopus 2014/2/14 10:04
I think you've got something wrong - we don't eat frog in "sashimi." Octopus: there is a Korean dish (I've heard) where the octopus is so fresh you can feel the suction cup on your tongue.

There is "odori gui" - where you eat/almost swallow "shirauo" - small fish - with the sauce and let them wiggle down your throat, but this is a regional specialty OUTSIDE Tokyo.

If you are talking about "iki dukuri," where they prepare sashimi out of a fish just taken out of the fish tank, so that you can see the fish still twitching on the place.

This has nothing to do with Tsukiji, by the way; Tsukiji is a serious business place, where bidding for fish takes place. For "iki dukuri," you could go find a good (I mean very good) Japanese restaurant where they have fish tanks, and they might serve you that. But trying to find one just for the kicks of it does not sound like a very good idea.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread