Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Volunteering in Japan during travel 2013/1/3 04:30
Hello everyone!

I have been to Japan a couple of times, and sometimes i was able to help out at for example schools. However this was thanks to the Japanese people i knew that got me such opportunities.

Now i would like to know whether it would be possible to contact schools by yourselves and see if you can help out. I assume this is uncommon, but i can imagine they are glad if you can help out at kindergarten and such?

Is anyone aware of any organisations, or what move i should make to make this realistic?

Some information which could help out when giving practical information:
-At the moment i am still a university student, majoring in Japanese studies.
-The level of my conversational Japanese is quite ok, and well i've got some English language skill as well as you can find out.
-I really like spending time with little kids and trying to teach them something.
-I will be in Japan during the first 2-3 weeks of February. Easiest would be if i could do some volunteering in Tokyo. And actually, well i would prefer to spend some time with Japanese little kids, but if this is too unrealistic i am certainly up for other volunteering. So if anyone has some information?

Thanks in advance!
by Momo (guest)  

Re: Volunteering in Japan during travel 2013/1/3 09:31
You can try this organization:

http://itsnotjustmud.com/
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Volunteering in Japan during travel 2013/1/3 09:34
Upon further review, it seems your desire is to help out in a school of some sort. I don't think this will be as easy as it may sound, since they don't know who you are. I'd try to volunteer first to establish some connections in the volunteering world and then do some networking with others there.

Re: Volunteering in Japan during travel 2013/1/3 17:25
Well the few times i was able to do so, was thanks to "the friend of a friend" and that sorta connection. Unfortunately i don't have those in the places i am going to this time, so i was wondering if it makes any sense to contact some schools by myself?
Would this be inappropriate to do so?
by Momo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Volunteering in Japan during travel 2013/1/3 18:15
As John mentioned volunteering is not simple and easy in Japan.

It is easier with local comnnections to introduce your capability, reliability and credentials.

A principal who accepts you as a walk in volunteer is responsible for you to the parents. Unless you have special skills or staying in Japaan on a long term, he/she might be hesistant to do so.

You could try.
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Re: Volunteering in Japan during travel 2013/1/3 18:33
I have also been able to get into high school for a week because i got the opportunity (thanks to local connections) to talk with the principal. Afterwards he allowed me to go to that school for a week, and the year afterwards i was able to go again.

I have also been able to help out at a sport festival thanks to these connections. Guess this wasn't any near the usual then?
Would it be impolite to try contact/talk to a school without any local connections?

Re: Volunteering in Japan during travel 2013/1/4 01:39
Well, put yourself in their shoes. If a foreigner were to show up to your school and ask to volunteer, how would you feel about it? Would you trust the children under your care with someone you've never met?

I'm not sure how the liability issues are dealt with in Japan, but I'd feel he'd be responsible for your well-being as well.

I think there are too many variables that aren't being addressed for something like this to happen. It just doesn't sound right to me. I would try to get with an organization and work from there. Good luck, though, in your noble effort.

Re: Volunteering in Japan during travel 2013/1/4 13:23
This might not help you with your current travel plan, but in case you are interested in the future:

You could participate in an international volunteer project. Many involve working with children, and often, but not always, in rural areas. The projects or workcamps usually run for a couple of weeks. There is a participation fee, but accommodation and meals are covered by the program host.

NICE (nice1.gr.jp/en/) and CIEEJ (cieej.or.jp) are two Japanese organizations that I know of, but you might have to apply through the partner organization they have in you country.
by kasasagi rate this post as useful

Re: Volunteering in Japan during travel 2013/1/4 17:19
Thank you very much! But i already found the partner organisation in my country, and usually the projects last too long for me to participate...

reply to this thread