Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

japanese citizenship 2013/1/9 10:37
Do we neeed to have 1 year visa to apply for japanese citizenshp. How much time it will take for the process. Currently, I have 6 months (designated activities visa for full time work) but am working part time. So if I apply for citizenship and my visa expires will I get an extension visa for processing my application.
Any help on the above query is really appreciated.
Thank you in advance!
by anamika (guest)  

Re: japanese citizenship 2013/1/9 17:12
If you are married to a Japanese national then you can apply for Japanese citizenship after living in the country for as little as 1-3 years. Otherwise it will take 5+ years of continuous residence before you will be able to apply.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: japanese citizenship 2013/1/9 19:45
...that would be for "permanent resident" status, to be precise,I believe.

You need to have stayed in Japan consecutively for at least 5 years on some kind of work visa to be able to apply for permanent resident status. (As mentioned, the number of years is different if you are Spouse of Japanese national status holder.)

If you are here for six months so far, you are not eligible - you need to continue having that status renewed (of course together with your work) for at least five years.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: japanese citizenship 2013/1/10 01:24
Thank you both for your reply.
I am single and have been living in japan for the past 7 years now. Out of the 7 years I have worked for 3 years and studied for 4 years. Do I qualify to apply (work visa was only for 3 years). Also I currently hold Designated activities visa (for job hunting)for 6 months. If I get part time work and apply now and if the process takes more than one year will they extend my visa if my my employer doesnt extend it.
by anamika (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: japanese citizenship 2013/1/10 09:20
I am single and have been living in japan for the past 7 years now. Out of the 7 years I have worked for 3 years and studied for 4 years. Do I qualify to apply (work visa was only for 3 years). Also I currently hold Designated activities visa (for job hunting)for 6 months. If I get part time work and apply now and if the process takes more than one year will they extend my visa if my my employer doesnt extend it.

If I recall correctly, time spent on a student visa doesn't count toward residency requirements. In that case you still need to stay an additional 2 years to meet the minimums.

Either way, you need to maintain valid residency status during an application for PR or citizenship, and will not be covered the by the application process should your current residency expire.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: japanese citizenship 2013/1/10 14:41
yllwsmrf, Thank you for your reply.
by anamika (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread