Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Toaster oven in uk 2013/1/14 04:33
I want to buy a toaster oven on a forthcoming trip to japan? Will it work in the uk?
by Jb (guest)  

Re: Toaster oven in uk 2013/1/14 10:21
The ones sold in Japan are made for the local voltage, which is 100V. I believe it is 220V or 240V in the UK? You would need to get a step-down transformer and a plug converter to use it. Generally for household applicances, particularly of heat-generating kinds, I don't recommend buying anything overseas. Any reason you want to buy one in Japan?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Toaster oven in uk 2013/1/14 10:44
It will work with a step down transformer, but its not all that practical considering that a transformer that is rated to handle the wattage of a toaster oven will be far larger and more expensive than the toaster oven itself.

Generally it is a bad idea to use devices that include heating elements in countries that they were not designed for as there is a real fire hazard and shortened device life. Is there a particular toaster oven that you are looking at? They are not all that different here.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Toaster oven in uk 2013/1/14 16:07
basically we want a toaster oven. My wife is japanes so we like japanes products. They are not very common in the uk
by jb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Toaster oven in uk 2013/1/14 16:41
I see. Well taking a look on amazon.co.uk I see pretty much the same selection as we have here in Japan (and any product with over 2000 hits on amazon can't be all that uncommon). The main problem still is finding a 240v-100v converter rated to 1000w or greater (depending on your model toaster). They are not as common as 240-110 (UK to US) converters and look like one will cost over 100 pounds (and probably weigh as much as well). Its not that you can't do it this way, but in the end I think you'll be happier just buying something off of amazon.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Toaster oven in uk 2013/1/14 21:21
You have two options:

1. Find one in the UK. Lakeland has one: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15913/Dualit-Table-Top-Oven It's expensive, but they have lifetime returns and guarantees (I know, I used to work there).

2. Find a place that sells Japanese items made for non-Japan market. There's at least one of these in Akihabara. I went into one, it MIGHT have been: http://www.akky-jp.com/shopping/index1.html They mostly sell rice cookers but maybe they can help. When I went, they had staff that spoke English (in varying degrees). The downside is trying to get it back to the UK and also if it stops working then... :(
by MN (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Toaster oven in uk 2013/1/15 03:28
Thank you all for your advice
by Jb (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread