Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Prepaid Cell Phone Struggles 2013/1/21 13:26
Hi!
I'm going to Japan for four months in April and although I will be travelling with friends, I also wanted to be able to explore a bit on my own, which to me meant getting a device and plan that would enable me to use google maps or a similar feature.

So, my plan is to buy this cell phone:
http://www.kyoex.com/docomo-panasonic-p-01d-my-fit/
an unlocked docomo panasonic p01d, which has android os (google maps too)

and use this sim card in it:
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/sim_t1gb/index.html
a bmobile card that will enable me to use a gig of data and talk

My questions are:
1. Does this seem like a good idea?
2. I won't be able to send or receive text messages on this setup, I don't think. Are there any alternatives that will enable me to send/receive text messages?
3. Can I get a bmobile sim card on a student visa?
by lucidly  

Re: Prepaid Cell Phone Struggles 2013/1/21 14:11
1. Does this seem like a good idea?

Tourists can't get prepaid sim's with voice, so you may be limited to one of the data only offerings unless you have some sort of resident visa.

2. I won't be able to send or receive text messages on this setup, I don't think. Are there any alternatives that will enable me to send/receive text messages?

I think you can set up text/email but sms is a different issue. Either way there are plenty of other options: skype, talkatone, email

3. Can I get a bmobile sim card on a student visa?

Yes, and if you are on a student visa you will be able to get one of the talking sims.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Prepaid Cell Phone Struggles 2013/1/22 10:08
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I will be on a student visa while I'm there.
by lucidly rate this post as useful

Re: Prepaid Cell Phone Struggles 2013/1/22 10:10
To the person who posted above, jut so we're clear, I would be able to send/receive text messages?
by lucidly rate this post as useful

Re: Prepaid Cell Phone Struggles 2013/1/22 10:45
Yes, it is possible to send/receive text messages (both sms and email). I can't recall if it is natively supported by the sim, but there are plenty of apps available that send these via data instead.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread