Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Prioritizing studying question 2013/1/22 02:01
I'm going to Japan in the beginning of May. That only l leaves about 100 days until I go there. I know some basic vocabulary (not nearly as much as I would like to know), such as colors, random words that I learned with Rosetta Stone.. etc. I also know about 50 kanji, but I don't know any of the readings.. I just learned them recently using RTK. If I'm going to be there in about 4 months.. I want to be able to talk and listen more than read, I think. I know basic sentence structure, a lottttt of greetings, and simple questions. I feel like I'm stuck, though. I don't know what to learn, how to learn.. or what to do now. I feel like I shouldn't learn kanji right now, because I should focus on speaking. I watch a lot of drama and anime for listening practice.. but I'm not sure what to do to make my skills as good as they can be for May. Please let me know the fastest and most efficient way of learning how to talk, and understand. I just want to be able to communicate, and if I have to type out full sentences in hirigana, then so be it. (I'll learn kanji eventually when I have more time.) Thank you!!! :)
by zairitu  

Re: Prioritizing studying question 2013/1/22 22:23
if you only know basic sentence structure then you shouldn't be wasting your time with kanji. btw, 'knowing' them but not knowing the readings isn't really 'knowing' - it's recognizing them.

focus on learning hiragana & katakana, basic sentences, and pronunciation. you can always look up a word for vocab on the spot if need be, but learning a bunch of random words won't help you converse.

がんばって下さい。
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Prioritizing studying question 2013/1/25 01:11
I´m learning Japanese so I can say you only to know how to talk is a bit useless because well what do you wanna do if you go for shopping ?

Much products are written in Kata and Hiragana. I remember myself I had buy for the fist time chips, I was thinking they was sour cream (cause of the green color)favor but it was WASABY.

Else if you wanna really learn japanese:

-Buy a good textbook, my favorit is ''Genki''. For beginner it´s really good.

-When you can read katakana & Hiragana. Try the books ''mina no nihongo''. Only then because else you couldn´t read it.^^

Maybe search a Japanese teacher a real teacher and not only a Japanese who wanna try to help you. because they will try but they don´t really know how to educate you.

I have a Japanese Teacher she helps me really good, in working with the books.

Some other tipps:

-Make a language tripp to a language school in Japan.
It´s interesting and will help you.

-Talk with your Japanese friends Japanese, at begin it only will be some words but it´s a good training.
by Uriziel rate this post as useful

Re: Prioritizing studying question 2013/1/25 09:50
What is your purpose of your visit to Japan, coming for a sightseeing trip, or studying, and for how long are you going to be in Japan? That would tell us a lot about what you should be aiming for :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread