Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best milk products? 2013/1/28 15:40
I am travelling for the first time to Japan (Kanazawa)with my kids.Just wanted to know the best milk product suitabe for kids (5yrs and 1.5yrs),and also the name of supermarket where i can find that.Please forward me the links.Thankyou
by Biswajit Ghosh (guest)  

Re: Best milk products? 2013/1/29 06:20
sorry, your question seems a little strange so i'm afraid i can't help much.

but a few notes about japanese milk: it's likely to taste very different from whatever milk you drink in your current country - people generally dislike the taste at first but get used to it after some time. also, almost all milk in japan is UHT pasteurized.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Re: Best milk products? 2013/1/30 22:32
Kobebussan has a chain of low-cost supermarkets under the brand name of Gyoumu Supa:
http://www.kobebussan.co.jp/english/
They have quite good plain yoghurt (and of course milk as well). Anyway, the choice of dairy products is rather limited in Japan compared to the US or Europe.
by gs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best milk products? 2013/2/1 14:53
Can you be a bit more specific? By milk product, do you mean plain milk, cheese, yoghurt? Once children are over a year old any full fat milk sold here should be fine, there aren't any that wouldn't be appropriate.

You can buy processed cheese that is calcium-enriched and low sodium for toddlers in some supermarkets, as well as baby/toddler yoghurt, but by 1.5 these aren't strictly necessary.

What is your criteria for "best milk product"?

If you are looking for toddler formula for your 1.5 year old, there are several brands of powdered follow-up milk available- Step (ステップ) by Meiji and GunGun (ぐんぐん) by Wakodo are two well known brands, for 9 months-3 years.
by ☆Yukai (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best milk products? 2013/2/1 15:56
I know it may be hard to describe, but how does Japan milk taste so much different than lets say USA milk?

I drink whole milk. Many of my friends will drink one percent, skim, or whatever the heck it is, but to me that milk tastes so watery. :S

Is Japan milk like that?
by Whole Milk Lover (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best milk products? 2013/2/1 16:18
Regular Japanese milk is similar to whole milk. There is also a lowfat version that is similar to lowfat milk in the US. I haven't seen non-fat milk in Japan, but I haven't really looked for it either.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Best milk products? 2013/2/1 16:37
Thank you yllwsmrf! I see you post a lot on Japan Guide. You are very helpful! :0)
by Mikel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best milk products? 2013/2/1 16:38
PS: Whole Milk Lover = me, Mikel. I meant to write that as title of my answer, lol! Sorry to confuse.
by Mikel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best milk products? 2013/2/1 17:48
No problem, but keep in mind it is still likely to taste different than you are used to, so don't be too surprised if that's the case. I hope you like it!
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Best milk products? 2013/2/2 18:22
There is non-fat milk, 無脂肪乳, in Japan, although not all supermarkets carry it.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best milk products? 2013/2/8 13:02
A little late to the party. But most milk in Japan seems to be 3.6% with the low fat milk being 1%. After drinking normal Japanese milk for so long, the low fat milk is very watery to me.

But I do think Japanese milk is delicious. But I think any nice cold milk is good.
by Sage (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread