Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How Can I become a Maiko/Geisha? 2013/1/29 14:36
How can I become a Maiko/Geisha?
I am 14 years old in 8th grade. I would like to become a Maiko/Geisha in Japan. I don't want to become one just because it's Japanese, and they wear Kimono. But, I like everything about it. I am half Native american, 1 quarter Filipino, and 1 quarter white. I look pretty asian since most Natives do, and Filipino are asian. And, My skin color is not very dark because I am a quarter white and I do not go out in the sun too much. And, I only weigh 45kg. I have heard of a non- Japanese becoming a Geisha before, so I know there is a possibility I can become one too. I have been studying Japanese for 2 years and I can hold some conversation. But, I am having trouble on how I can contact an "Okasan". Is there any way I can contact one without going all the way to Japan? And, do you think I am able to qualify as a Geisha??
by angelolivia  

Re: How Can I become a Maiko/Geisha? 2013/1/29 15:49
I have heard of a non-Japanese becoming a Geisha before
http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2011/06/07/foreign-geishas-future-u...

At least maybe you have to understand Japanese like this tv-show, I think,
because they are highest grade hostess and the embodimen of traditional Japanese culture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-GxpV4e8K4
by ajapaneseboy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How Can I become a Maiko/Geisha? 2013/1/29 18:16
maiko starts at 5-6 years old. It takes many years as novice to apprentice in customised one to one training not a large class instructorship.

Before answering your queries, the establishment will want to know- how and what type of visa will you apply to enter and stay in Japan since you do not have a degree or experience or Japanese residency?
by Donaldl rate this post as useful

Re: How Can I become a Maiko/Geisha? 2013/1/29 18:25
maiko starts at 5-6 years old. It takes many years as novice to apprentice in customised one to one training not a large class instructorship.

These days maiko start training at a much later age, usually after middle school or high school.

Before answering your queries, the establishment will want to know- how and what type of visa will you apply to enter and stay in Japan since you do not have a degree or experience or Japanese residency?

I suppose if you were accepted into a program you would qualify for a cultural activities visa.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How Can I become a Maiko/Geisha? 2013/1/30 03:40
The basic challenge for you to become a maiko is that you need to speak and understand Japanese perfectly, because none of your masters, trainers, colleagues, and patrons would communicate with you in English. They have their own ''dialect'' and vocabularies that even native Japanese like me sometime cannot understand, so the perfect command of the language is a must. Without the language skill, no Okiya (maiko training house) will take you.

The other challenge to be a maiko is that you need to convince your parents. Without the parental approval, they donft even consider taking you for training. You know, they donft want to deal with runaways and free lodgers. Once you get approval from your parent, the best way is to have your parent contact Ookini Zaidan, the guild for Hanamachi business. On their website, there are minimum requirements for their expectations.

http://www.ookinizaidan.com/

1. Becoming a Maiko is not about getting jobs (There is a chance you donft become a Geisha).
2. Best to be 15~17 years old.
3. No taller than 160cm
4. At least 43kg weight
5. Parental Approval
6. You must love Japanese traditional music and dancing.
7. Your lifestyle will also be traditional. You donft mind sleeping on floor (There will be no beds).
8. Cleaning and washing is a part of training. You must to be a hard worker and tidy.
9. No money required and everything will be taken cared by Okiya.
10. You need to training at least 4~5 years.

If the guild considers that you could be a good candidate, they will resend your resume to Okiyas that might be interested taking you. This is how Hanamachi business works. Again for you case, just learning Japanese two years outside of Japan is not up to their consideration, but itfs all about how passionate and willing you are, I suppose. On their website, there is a phone and fax number, and e-mail address. You probably need to contact you in Japanese, or otherwise, they will not take seriously about you.

There is also a high school called Higashiyama Joshi Gakuen, the all-girl high school in Kyoto. You wonft get a high school proficiency certificate because itfs a specialized school, but there, you will also learn various types of dances, music instruments, tea ceremony, and flower arrangement and things like that. You need to find your own place to stay and school fees for this. This school is backed up by Hanamachi Business.

At your age, itfs important for you to have a goal and dream. You really need to work hard to become a geisha, but if you think you can handle all the obstacles and challenges upon you, Ifll say good luck to you.
by jomonstrider rate this post as useful

Re: How Can I become a Maiko/Geisha? 2013/1/30 05:18
What does a modern day geisha do? Is this an actual job?
by Justin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How Can I become a Maiko/Geisha? 2013/1/30 06:13
Geishas are entertainers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geisha

There is nothing "modern" about it. It's just like in the olden days. You dedicate your life to it.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: How Can I become a Maiko/Geisha? 2013/1/30 07:40
Thank you. I knew of the history of geishas, I guess I just did not realize that there were many who still dedicate their life to it today.
by Justin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How Can I become a Maiko/Geisha? 2013/2/1 08:00
If you look on YouTube there is a documentary about a Japanese country girl (from Northern Honshu) on the 'journey' to becoming a Maiko. It's in about 8parts on YouTube - sorry I don't know the name of it and can't access YouTube at the moment.

It seems a VERY lonely existence becoming/being a Maiko and that's just for a Japanese person - so being an outsider attempting to become Maiko would be even worse! (ie. Limited, almost no contact with family and friends over long periods of time.)
by Stewy63 rate this post as useful

Re: How Can I become a Maiko/Geisha? 2013/2/1 15:47
There is a Australian/English Maiko who actually made it quite as far as Geisha as part of an academic project. I believe this is the link, it does shed some light on the complications of becoming Maiko and Geisha: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiona_Graham
by Hoshisato (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2013/2/1 22:33
If you look on YouTube there is a documentary about a Japanese country girl (from Northern Honshu) on the 'journey' to becoming a Maiko

The documentary Stewy63 refers to is "The Geiko's Journey" which was on NHK.
Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RisOwTSXC68

Might get pulled as it probably violates NHK terms so watch it sooner rather than later.

There is also another thread on here which may have some info:-
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?1+14296

by GC3 rate this post as useful

Re: How Can I become a Maiko/Geisha? 2013/4/16 06:37
Jomonstrider,
I want to be a geisha too.
I am 12 and 44 kg, and 1.62 meter but I think it's gonna stop by 1.65 .
Is that gonna be a problem?
Thank you.
by Chanel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How Can I become a Maiko/Geisha? 2013/4/16 18:59
About being a Geisha, if you're a foreigner, your chances of becoming a Maiko or Geisha are miniscule. While it's not impossible literally, for all practical purposes it is. And please don't say that if you try hard enough you can do whatever you set out to do becuase there are barriers here that may derail your dream.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How Can I become a Maiko/Geisha? 2013/5/12 05:05
You know if you just wanted to be trained because you love it... I don't see why they would deny you that.Find out if it can be done don't just take others word for it!. if it's truly what you want...you don't have to have the title but just know you are doing something you love! I myself know it will never be something could do but the training I would love to have.
by Chairo Usagi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread