Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Woman Attending Sumo Wrestling 2013/2/2 21:19
We are heading to Osaka in March and hoping to attend the Sumo Grand Tournament. I have heard woman aren't allowed to attend, is this true?
by David (guest)  

Re: Woman Attending Sumo Wrestling 2013/2/3 08:51
I went last March to the Osaka Tournament and I sat next to a wonderful lady who was amazed I knew as much Sumo as I did. I saw as many women as men at the tournament, so I believe your fears are without merit. Enjoy the basho!
by John B digs Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Woman Attending Sumo Wrestling 2013/2/3 09:58
David,

As others have already said, there is certainly no problem with women attending sumo tournaments. What you probably misunderstood is the long-standing tradition that forbids women from entering the dohyo ring. Even the first female governor of Osaka was not allowed to present the winners' prizes several years back.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Woman Attending Sumo Wrestling 2013/2/4 19:32
Women are welcome and can sit in any seat, it's no problem. You'll see lots of women there.

Women aren't allowed on the actual dirt ring, but spectators shouldn't be there anyway. ;)
by Harimogura rate this post as useful

reply to this thread