Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

can you wear a yukata in america? 2013/2/6 03:56
hi guys, i love japan and have a few japanese friends.they are thrilled that i want to wear a yukata in amreica, but is it alright for me to though?
by Athena (guest)  

Re: can you wear a yukata in america? 2013/2/6 11:31
Are you in the States now, or are you in Japan now and considering purchasing a "yukata"?

If you want to, you can wear anything you want to. But please note it is a summer lounging wear (even in Japan), and that it should be worn with a sash belt ("obi") and proper footwear as well to look nice :) If there is a Japanese community close to where you live in America, check out (in summer of course) if they have a local summer festival where they might appear in yukata as well.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: can you wear a yukata in america? 2013/2/7 01:33
Of course you can wear yukata in America. I have several, specifically nemaki, which are the gauze lined yukata. I get them from a shop in Nihonmachi (San Francisco) although I purchased them originally in Japan on previous trips at yukata shops, brought them home and wore them until they wore out. When I have house guests I fold them properly and put them on the guest's bed (with obi). Everyone loves them. I am not strict about seasons though as anyone who has been to SF in summer knows it is more like winter.
by stevenjv (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: can you wear a yukata in america? 2013/2/7 13:03
hi guys, i love japan and have a few japanese friends.they are thrilled that i want to wear a yukata in amreica, but is it alright for me to though?

Wear them at home? No problem.

Out in public? Obviously this would be unusual outside of a Japanese festival context (I'm from the SF Bay Area, where it is uncommon but not rare to see people wearing yukata to the summer bazaars at the buddhist temples), but surely as acceptable as any other alternative dress.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread